VMware Communities
WANGooRoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 5 performance worse than v4.x

Before upgrading to Fusion 5 my Windows 7 (64 Bit) guest would show an overall Windows experience index score of 6.0 (Out of 7.9).

After upgrading to Fusion 5 the Windows experience index score is 5.6.

VMware claims Fusion 5 is faster than v4.

I am not seeing how that is possible.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
cricri67
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same experience (even though the degradation is worse in my case).

I started a topic here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/415364?tstart=30

Trying to find why it does not work for us... which OS are you using?

Are you on Snow Leopard like me? Are you on Lion? Mountain Lion?

0 Kudos
mmm-five
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

Overall WEI remained at 6.0 (due to the graphics being the lowest performer), the processor score dropped from 7.6 to 7.2.

WEI with VMF4

WEI_VMF4.png

WEI with VMF5

WEI_VMF5.png

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you upgrade the virtual hardware, install the new VMWare tools, and reboot the VM?

0 Kudos
mmm-five
Contributor
Contributor

Did you upgrade the virtual hardware, install the new VMWare tools, and reboot the VM?

I did.

I've now got WEI back to where it was, but only by configuring VMF5 to use 8 cores & 6gb RAM vs VMF4 using 4 cores & 4gb RAM.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What machine are you on?  You may be starving the host for resources.

0 Kudos
WANGooRoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case I am running OS X 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion) on a brand new Macbook Pro Retina w/ 16 Gb RAM, 2.7 GHz CPU, and 768 GB SSD drive.

I did upgrade the VM hardware and I have also upgraded the VM tools inside the guest.

Performance is definitely worse with Fusion 5 compared to Fusion 4.

Not a very good upgrade for $49!

Perhaps it is time to dump VMware and move back to Parallels.

0 Kudos
vukodlak
Contributor
Contributor

My Windows performance went down to. I selected to upgrade the VM hardware. Usually when I upgrade the hardware the first boot into Windows installs new hardware but I did not get this on first boot (wierd).

My Windows Experience Index was at 4.8 now it is at 2.0. My graphics performance went down from 4.8 to 2.0. That is not good.

0 Kudos
Jeaz
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious, when you say your performance is down, is it actually lower when trying something, like a game? Or it just the score?

I'm just trying out Fusion as an alternative to Parallels and while I really like most of the thing with Fusion, the performance for is way below what I get with Parallels when running a game.

0 Kudos
vukodlak
Contributor
Contributor

While I posted the previous post I was trying something and I got my performance back. I had a snapshot that I resorted back to. I then booted into Windows and uninstalled VMWare Tools and rebooted Windows. I then shut down Windows and upgraded the hardware. Booted back into Windows and installed VMWare Tools and rebooted. Ran the Windows Experience Index again and now my performance is back.

0 Kudos
vukodlak
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed launching programs was slower and just playing the MS games (solitare was stuttering, not smooth).

0 Kudos
Jeaz
Contributor
Contributor

I actually get the same score in Fusion as I do in Parallels, but I get a stutter when running a game. Even if I lower the setting to really the lowest (and this is not a hardware heavy game) it still stutters. The game itself says the FPS is 60, but it's not smooth.

0 Kudos
s1dodds
Contributor
Contributor

my score is still slower after doing many things.

I had

now it's

5.9 (UP)

0 Kudos