VMware Communities
craibuc
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 on Yosemite: Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

Started Fusion 5; attempted to start one of the paused VMs.

Got these messages in succession:

• Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
  • Failed to initialize monitor device.
  • Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

$ ls -ld /dev /dev/vmmon

ls: /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory

dr-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  4329 Oct 18 00:10 /dev

This worked before I upgrades to Yosemite.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At the present time the only version of VMware Fusion that's officially supported on OS X 10.10 Yosemite is VMware Fusion 7.  VMware Fusion 6.0.5 may work, although I do not believe VMware has stated it's officially supported.

0 Kudos
plusmartin
Contributor
Contributor

Very bad move from vmware. If you dont offer a fix soon I (and many more) will move to something else.

0 Kudos
Mee_gehl
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

It is understood that I can not run VMware Fusion 5 on Yosemite but is there a way to upgrade to VMware Fusion 6. Presuming that solves the issue because there is no proof yet that Fusion 6 is fully compatible with Yosemite. In any case if that were to solve the problem is there a upgrade fee? I am having the same issue:

Started Fusion 5

Got these messages:

• Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.
  • Failed to initialize monitor device.
  • Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

Fusion 5 worked well before I upgraded to Yosemite.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Mee_gehl wrote: In any case if that were to solve the problem is there a upgrade fee? I am having the same issue:

Updates of minor point releases are free however upgrades to a major version release and not, although discounted at the present time with a VMware Fusion 5 or 6 license to VMware Fusion 7.  As to purchasing a VMware Fusion 6 license you'd have to purchase VMware Fusion 7 and then downgrade your license.  So as long as you're hardware specs are fine for VMware Fusion 7 you might as well just use that if upgrading from VMware Fusion 5 since VMware Fusion 7 is, at the present time, the only officially supported VMware Fusion release on OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

You can always just download and use it fully functional and free for 30 days, then if you want/need purchase it.

0 Kudos
kdogden
Contributor
Contributor

So as long as you're hardware specs are fine for VMware Fusion 7 you might as well just use that if upgrading from VMware Fusion 5 since VMware Fusion 7 is, at the present time, the only officially supported VMware Fusion release on OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

You can always just download and use it fully functional and free for 30 days, then if you want/need purchase it.

I'm not paying $70 to upgrade to Fusion 7 Pro to simply access virtual machines I've been using for years due to a simple OS update.  This is NOT a groundbreaking new OS release with tons of changes and new features.  Mostly piddly UI stuff.

If they had done this with VMWare Workstation users with Windows when everyone migrated from Vista to 7 they would have had a complete revolt on their hands.  Mac users are NOT second class citizens.  Hell, I bet the current version of Workstation even still runs fine with XP.  Forcing a $70 upgrade?  That's OK, I can import the VMWare VM's into VirtualBox on my Mac desktop.  For FREE.

I paid good money for VMWare Fusion 5 Pro like 2.5 years ago.  I expect to be able to keep using it unhindered through a couple yearly OSX updates.  If this is impossible and they aren't releasing a patch, then VMWare Fusion is no longer for me.

I am starting to question whether I want to keep ESXi around in my department at work as well.

--Kevin D. Ogden - IT Director - Brabham Oil Company, Inc.

0 Kudos
PresidentCamach
Contributor
Contributor

Yup - the logs say what's happening:

10/24/14 9:37:23.286 PM com.apple.kextd[30]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.vmware.kext.vmci, will not load

10/24/14 9:37:23.771 PM com.apple.kextd[30]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.vmware.kext.vsockets, will not load

10/24/14 9:37:24.256 PM com.apple.kextd[30]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.vmware.kext.vmnet, will not load

10/24/14 9:37:24.751 PM com.apple.kextd[30]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.vmware.kext.vmx86, will not load

kextd only complained about the invalid signatures in OS X 10.9, but it allowed the loads.

10.10 won't allow unsigned/invalid signatures.

Could VMware re-sign this release in 5.0.6?  It isn't like they'd have to buy new certificates as they don't have this problem with Fusion 7 (meaning they already have new certificates).  So, yes, they could.

Will they?

I'm going to say no, they won't.  They didn't bother to fix the problem under 10.9, so why not stick us for another $70 (or whatever it is)?  Lambs to the slaughter.

Workarounds:

There is a way to get kextd to ignore signatures.  But this is a huge risk: it turns off checking for *all* kexts.  So, imagine you're browsing the web, you click a link that you think will take you somewhere but - oops - it's a kext.  It'll run and... who knows what it'll do?  I won't say the magic word to let kextd be so promiscuous, but it is findable.

If you're an OS X developer (not iOS), it might be possible to sign the kexts yourself - using your Apple developer certificate.  This is an option if you are already signed up and paying for it, not really an option if aren't (it would cost less to get Fusion 7).

With laptops being as cheap as they are, it might be worth it to just get one, stick the VM on that and leave it accessible via RDP - then abandon VMware.  It'll pay for itself with every release of Fusion and OS X.  There are also plenty of other folks just waiting to handle our VM needs.

The free-market cuts both ways, after all.

0 Kudos
gpadnos
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. 

Followed the KB articles to uninstall and reinstall 5.0.5.  No help. 

Edited the .vmx file.  No help.

I have the version 7 trial, but if that's what I have to do, I agree with some others that I'll look at Parallels.  Its not like 5.0 is a 5 year old version or something.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

gpadnos wrote:  I agree with some others that I'll look at Parallels.

Parallels does the same thing!  There's always VirtualBox, it's free! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos