VMware Communities
JKLandes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 5 on OS X 10.4 Mountain Lion Migration Agent Support

The marketing materials for the latest version of Fusion 5 says it's optimized for OS X 10.4 Mountain Lion.

When I run the migration agent to P2V my Windows 7 x64 PC, it crashes.

A KB article says the migration agent is not supported on OS X 10.4 Mountain Lion.

Call me a stickler, but this does not sound like it's optimized for OS X 10.4 to me....

I have a brand new Macbook Pro wunning OS X 10.4.

I'd like to P2V my Windows 7 x64 PC and get rid of the hardware.

Am I going to have to do a Windows backup, build a new Windows VM and restore it?

Can someone tell me my options? I am mostly disappointed here....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Mountain Lion is 10.8, not 10.4.   If you really are running 10.4, that's why nothing is working.

The migration agent can't migrate an OSX machine to a virtual machine - that's the support it's talking about.  But the converter is hit or miss - many windows machines have strange drivers and software that prevent it from working.  The standalone vmware converter works better.  But.....

Converting existing computers is not recommended.  It results in a bloated, buggy, unstable virtual machine.  Since you have to purchase a windows 7 retail license anyway (the OEM licenses that come with computers can't be virtualized legally), you're better off building a VM from scratch.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Mountain Lion is 10.8, not 10.4.   If you really are running 10.4, that's why nothing is working.

The migration agent can't migrate an OSX machine to a virtual machine - that's the support it's talking about.  But the converter is hit or miss - many windows machines have strange drivers and software that prevent it from working.  The standalone vmware converter works better.  But.....

Converting existing computers is not recommended.  It results in a bloated, buggy, unstable virtual machine.  Since you have to purchase a windows 7 retail license anyway (the OEM licenses that come with computers can't be virtualized legally), you're better off building a VM from scratch.

0 Kudos