VMware Communities
thoen
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 is killing me. Can I downgrade to 4

I had been running Fusion 4 (Windows 7 guest) on MBP (8GB, 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5)  Lion for a couple of years, and it was fantastic. Ran fast, switched windows easily, only occasionally did it bog down when I had many applications opened in both operating systems.

I had to upgrade to Mountain Lion (10.8.2) in order to run several Mac apps that required it.

I fell for the VMWare marketing about all the benefits of running Fusion 5, and I upgraded. At first, it seemed pretty good. Then, at times, it would run a bit slow.

Of late, it is almost unworkable. The mouse is extremely slow. Typing is extremely slow. Small rectangles appear on the screen when I move the mouse.

Several of these issues have been mentioned on these forums. So far, the only successful solution offered was to turn of 3D acceleration. I have done this, but alas, no love.

Is there anyway to downgrade back to 4. It worked great and I would be grateful to return to that level of operation. I am thinking about ditching VMWare and using my daughters laptop to get my work done.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
thoen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ, will do so in the morning.

0 Kudos
Dr_Gary
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am in the same boat as you....had many VM's runnng fine in 4.1.3....including Windows 8..upgraded  to Fusion 5.01...and it was a complete disaster.

As always, I had my VM's backed-up prior to the upgrade...so I simply restored them and my mac back to 4.1.3...and everything works again. 

I just wish I had not forked-over my $50 so quickly...I am still waiting for a 5.0.2. release which I hope fixes these issues...it's been over 7 weeks now...very unhappy at this point...

0 Kudos