VMware Communities
chipmunker
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 & iWork in OS X Lion

I'm currently using the free trial download of Fusion 5 to evaluate the software.  I have iWork installed in a virtual machine running OS X 10.7 Lion and am using the most recent versions of Pages and Numbers, but when I open any of the documents they are blank.  Also, new documents that I create continue to be blank even after I have entered information into them.  When I type 5 words into a blank Pages document, the bottom of the document says "5 words" but I can't see them.  Numbers behaves in a similar fashion, where I can click areas of the document and a box pops up to show me the information in the spreadsheet cell I've selected, but I can't see the cells or the information they contain.

It seems to me that this should not be a problem.  This is Apple's own software and a staple of Mac OS X.  I've seen this topic in the forums as an issue with Fusion 4, so it's obviously been a known problem for some time.  Now Fusion 5 is out and it hasn't been fixed yet.  As I am evaluating the software for it's usefulness, this is a major problem and it's got me wondering how much other software may have similar problems.

I'm very unhappy with this turn of events, but I don't want this to sound like I'm just bashing Fusion.  Overall, I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.  It was easier to install and use than I expected, and the virtual machine runs better and faster than I expected.  It's really like having two computers running at the same time.  But the problem with iWork (and other software???) has to be addressed if it's really going to be useful for my purposes.

My configuration is such that 10.6 Snow Leopard runs as the host, with 10.7 Lion running as the guest.  Everything runs fine so far except iWork, and the fact that I haven't been able to use Migration Assistant to transfer data and settings to the new system.  There are a few minor quirks, but this software must be incredibly complex and I have no real complaints other than the iWork issue.

Also, I noticed in another post on a similar topic that someone mentioned Snow Leopard is outdated and no longer supported by Apple, I must disagree.  Apple is still selling both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server.  All you have to do is call Apple and say "I want to buy Snow Leopard" and the automated system will connect you to where you can order it.  Much of the software I have runs on Snow Leopard but not on Lion, and it seems to me that Fusion is a lot more affordable than numerous software upgrades.  I hope to see this issue addressed soon... my trial version expires in four weeks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies