VMware Communities
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 crashes after "copy" command in Win7

I have been plagued by this behavior for some time and finally decided to seek help.

While working in a Win7 VM, if I copy a file from one directory to another, all within the Win7 environment, and then let my mouse stray to a Mac window (I don't have to make the window active... just let my mouse cursor hover over it), Fusion will crash. I'll the the "submit an error report to Apple" window and can re-open Fusion using the button there. And my Fusion session comes right back. But the crash is annoying. And it's got to be damaging my Win7 OS, I would think.

Anyone else experiencing this? I searched the Community but didn't find anything that seemed to match the search terms, "Fusion crash copy".

Thanks for any help or insight.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Try repairing the dic permissions and reinstall latest build of fusion 5

To perform a permissions repair:

Navigate to /Applications/Utilities and open Disk Utility.
    Select Macintosh HD (the name of your drive may be different).
    Click Repair Disk Permissions.
    Allow the process to run.
    When it completes, try to install Fusion again.

For details on downloading and installing fusion refer

Downloading and installing VMware Fusion

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Looks weird issue, could you please post the log from Help>>Collect Support Infromation ?

Thx,

0 Kudos
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what "log" you're referring to. It generates a tgz file.

The extracted tgz file has a whole bunch of stuff, including several log file. Is there one in particular that would be useful?

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

You just need to attach that tgz file in your next reply to this post. That single file will contain all the info needed for diagnosing the issue

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

All right. Here you go.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey there. Could you please record a quick screencast with Quicktime Player (File > New Screen Recording) of what exactly your environment is like when you are able to get this to happen? I think you're in Unity mode when this happens? I'm not able to reproduce this here and the video might help to shed some light on what's going on. Thanks!

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Also, it looks like you have Kaspersky AntiVirus installed on this machine. Is there any way you could try turning that off and seeing if this still happens?

0 Kudos
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

I'll see if I can do that. Naturally, this hasn't happened since I posted my request. But I'll see if I can reproduce it.

From: Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Reply-To: communities-emailer <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Date: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:47 PM

To: Doug Starkey <nethead@pecandeluxe.com<mailto:nethead@pecandeluxe.com>>

Subject: New message: "Fusion 5 crashes after "copy" command in Win7"

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

reply from Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper<http://communities.vmware.com/people/vanRijn> in VMware Fusion® (for Mac) - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2172129#2172129

0 Kudos
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I can turn it off. I'll try that after I do the movie.

From: Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Reply-To: communities-emailer <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Date: Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:56 PM

To: Doug Starkey <nethead@pecandeluxe.com<mailto:nethead@pecandeluxe.com>>

Subject: New message: "Fusion 5 crashes after "copy" command in Win7"

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

reply from Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper<http://communities.vmware.com/people/vanRijn> in VMware Fusion® (for Mac) - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2172190#2172190

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If your VM is still running when Fusion restarts, then the crash was only in the Fusion app - the virtual machine process and Win7 didn't even know it was missing.

I'm trying to reproduce this with no success. Based on the code, it *might* have something to do with the path. I've just copied a text file from "My Documents" to "Public Documents" on the same virtual disk. Were you doing anything more complicated than that?

0 Kudos
pdccnet
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, the VM is still running when Fusion comes back up.

And you seem to be doing the same thing I'm doing: copying a file from one directory to another in Windows Explorer on the Windows VM. It is not until I then try to move my mouse outside the VMWare window to one of the Mac windows that the program then starts trying to copy the file to the Mac Finder and crashes the VMWare app. This is after the copy/paste inside the Windows VM has finished completely. And it does not have to be immediately after completion. A few seconds can have elapsed. Unfortunately, it does not do this EVERY time I copy/paste in the Windows VM. That's what makes this difficult to document. When I TRY to reproduce the behavior, I can't always do so reliably. Very frustrating. I've just been living with it.

0 Kudos
KenGould
Contributor
Contributor

So I have exactly the same issue. Screen shot attached. Copying files within Windows 7...and the Finder copies pop up. I never know if they are leaving traces of these files on my system and taking up unnecessary space. I'd love to find a fix....its a very frustrating problem. And hard to show....luckily I got time to capture the screen this time....not sure it helps resolution though,

Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 14.34.54.png

0 Kudos
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you using 3rd party Clipboard Management software? Such as Clyppan etc. They will affect Fusion CnP function sometime.

0 Kudos
KenGould
Contributor
Contributor

Nope. No 3rd party clipboard software at all. And all fusion settings at default. I should mention that it only seems to happen when copying to/from the host machine to the guest machine over the shared folder mechanism

0 Kudos
scbarton
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. I can duplicate any item on my Win7 desktop, and it eventually brings up a Mac copy window followed by a crash.  This happens in Fusion 6.0.1 as well.

If someone could help me attach files to my post, I can include a Mac crash report.  I find the Fusion support information to be oversharing for a public forum.

0 Kudos
jeffvautin
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem, too. When copying data to and from a VMware shared folder (living on my host machine), the Mac copy windows open up and VMware Fusion promptly crashes. Incredibly frustrating.

0 Kudos