VMware Communities
howardr
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5 Win7 VM Sent To Workstation 8: Part 2

Greetings all,

Yesterday I posted a message asking for information with regard to how to migrate and/or copy a virtual machine in Fusion over to Workstation and setup and configure the VM on Workstation once the Fusion VM is moved/copied over.

Doesn’t sound much like brain surgery does it?

I have to assume that someone out there has already done this or the people at VMware should have done this and written up clear procedures as how to do this?

I have searched for two days trying to find some sort of clearly written procedure as how to do this but to no avail.

If anyone knows how to do this please be good enough to advise.  VMware states that VM machines can be transported between their different products?  Really?

There does seem to be instructions as how to go from Workstation to Fusion in some detail but not the other way around.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

This document will help - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100232... = do not be mislead by the title - form the KB - "However, when moving a virtual machine between Fusion and Workstation (or vice-versa), you must remember these points:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Greetings.

I would perform the following steps. ( This is a generic steps and hence the steps may have to be changed )

1) Take a backup of the Virtual Machine bundle ( windows 7.vmwarevm ) .

3) Change / reduce the hardware compatibility of VM from 5 to "4 or above". Refer This article  

( WS 8 and Fusion version 4 uses same hardware version .You do not have to downgrade Fusion from 5 to 4. Just change hardware version in vm settings )

4) Transfer the Virtual Machine bundle itself to Windows PC.

On Windows PC

Launch WS 8.

Click on File > Open . Browse to the location where you have copied the bundle file from Mac.

choose the Windows 7.vmx file and open.

--------------------

Regarding your previous post on PART 1, can you send us the screen shot of the virtual machine bundle's contents taken from windows PC end ? It would be best if you follow my steps once you have sent the screen shot.

Also can you give us the real names and explain this ?

"

The files on the Workstation 8 machine are all broken out into individual files.

A few have names like aaaa.bbb.ccc and the rest are just aaaa.bbb file names.  " ?

Message was edited by: avanish321

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos