VMware Communities
NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 5: Could not open /dev/vmmon:... after Yosemite installation

I've been using an Ubuntu VM under Fusion 5 for quite a while.  I installed OSX Yosemite today and can no longer start this VM.

I get:

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory.

Failed to initialize monitor device.

Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

I've searched several threads including

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100348...

1) I am not running any VPNs or similar services

2) I tried Repair Disk Permissions and Reboot - no fix

3) I tried restoring a snapshot - same errors

4) I uninstalled Fusion, deleted a bunch of recommended files, downloaded and reinstalled it - no fix

Addendum 5): I downloaded another Ubuntu image and installed it.  It will not start - same errors

Suggestions appreciated.

Tags (3)
24 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Jinhong wrote: I'm using VMWare 5. I followed all instructions, but it didn't work for me.  Now I'm considering to move parallels.

VMware Fusion 5 reached its EOLS prior to the release of OS X 10.10 so it is as it is and, if you want, you could give VMware Fusion 7 a fully functional free 30 day trial and if you're not happy with it then try Parallels! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MacNephDoc
Contributor
Contributor

Vinupeter wrote:

Hi ,

I also faced the same issue with Windows 7 VM after upgrading to Yosmite

I followed the below KB article

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100348...

deleted bunch of files mentioned fixed the Disk Permissions

Reinstalled Fusion 6 and it is working perfectly fine.

I do not think you need to upgrade to Fusion 7 just for Yosmite

Regards,

Vinu

Naturally, I should have read this thread before doing my own upgrade. I did a "clean install" of Yosemite on my Late 2013 27" iMac (erase my boot drive, run the installer from a bootable USB 3 flash ram "drive", then import my apps and files back into the boot "hybrid" drive on the iMac from an external drive clone of my prior Mavericks boot drive). I was faced with the "need license code" issue from VMware 5, which I solved easily enough by retrieving it from my purchase email acknowledgment, but then faced all the other issues related to my Win 7 virtual machine about the missing resources.

VMware's knowledge base article you reference says it does not fix problems with the VM itself. Did you have a better experience?

Thanks so much,

Jim

0 Kudos
Alaynnpm
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same issue, I had not tested Fusion 5 after the OS X update, I'm very disappointed  with this. It was a bad vmware's move. Anyway I'm going to test Virtual box it seems a good product.

0 Kudos
TLEugene
Contributor
Contributor

Same here; moved over to Virtualbox, and it's working great. Actually much better than VMWare.

0 Kudos
EChity
Contributor
Contributor

Dear WoodyZ,

[Offensive personal attack removed by moderator.  EChity, please read and follow the Community Terms of Use.  Thanks!]

Please forgive me. My earlier reply to your post was considered a personal attack.

Please allow me to rephrase my post in a more constructive manner:

[Creatively worded personal attack (yet a personal attack nonetheless) removed by moderator.]

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

0 Kudos