VMware Communities
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 5.02: How to upgrade from XP32 to Window8 64?

Is there the option to select WIndows 8 install as a 64 bit rather than 32bit (my current XP guest OS version) during the upgrade?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you use an upgrade disk you may have to tweak a setting in the Windows Registry to get it to activate properly.  Have a look at "Tag Archives: clean install on Windows 8 Pro Upgrade in VMWare Fusion" to workaround activation issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation.

You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

Refer :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the prompt reply. I looked at your Windows 8 link to find:

...want an additional operating system running in either a local virtual machine or separate partition (including a Mac), you can purchase the Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro System Builder products (OEM versions).

So, in follow-up, two questions:

Do you need an OEM (DVD) version to run Windows 8 in 64bit in a virtual machine?

Can you make a fresh 64 bit install from the Microsoft download store($39.99) using the Windows 7 USB download tool?

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As far as I understand, you need to have a disk of windows 8 pro if you intend to upgrade a 32 bit OS into 64 bit windows 8.

For 32 bit windows to 32 bit windows 8 or 64 bit  windows to 64 bit windows 8  upgrade , thats not necessary. You can use the upgrade assistant itself.

Am not quite sure about windows 7 usb download tool.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would copying the Windows 8 Pro disk file to a USB drive for use with a WIndows 8 upgrade to 64 bit installation work after loading my guest XP OS?

closely related post from  VM Fusion community forum:               http://communities.vmware.com/message/2137527#2137527

0 Kudos
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1.Purchased cheap external DVD and worked well with Fusion 5.02

2. Boxed DVD Windows 8 upgrade recognized my XP guest as X32. Only box DVD upgrade choice was to Windows 8 x32

3. Boxed DVD WIndows 8 x64 reconized my second Win 7 guest as x64

4. The upgrade box version for $69 box doesn't allow for a choice :you either upgrade from 32bit to Windows 8 x32 or from x64 platform  to Windows 8 x64

5. Maybe the full OEM WIndows 8 DVD  is required to make that choice (upgrade from x32 to x64)

6. I will use this upgrade to move from WIN7 x64 to Windows 8 x64

Message was edited by: Table23

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since like upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 there is no direct upgrade process and the same if true for Window XP to Windows 8.  What that means is one would then need to reinstall all 3rd party programs after upgrading, etc., etc..  So that alone makes it utterly and totally senseless to upgrade using an existing VM and therefore create a new Virtual Machine and install Windows 8 directly!  Additionally a Windows XP VM has other issues that would need to be resolved anyway so again creating a Windows 8 VM and installing directly is the best way!  If you know what your doing you can perform a clean install on a new Windows 8 VM from upgrade media otherwise it has already been covered in the forums here an the Internet.

BTW You can't install a 64-bit version when starting the installer while running under a 32-bit version, doesn't matter what type disc's you have.  Additionally when being done in a VM there are changes that need to be made to the existing Windows XP VM if one is foolish enough not to just start with a new Windows 8 VM to begin with! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A fresh Windows 8 install is underway using the x64 disk.  Took the Windows 8 Pro Product Key If this works, a hat tip to WoodyZ and avanish

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you use an upgrade disk you may have to tweak a setting in the Windows Registry to get it to activate properly.  Have a look at "Tag Archives: clean install on Windows 8 Pro Upgrade in VMWare Fusion" to workaround activation issue.

0 Kudos
Table23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My clean install from an upgrade disk worked well... until I tried to install windows updates. The updates downloaded but couldn't complete the installation. The OS took about 8 minutes to revert back to its previous state.

After a return to the prior state, I went through the activation key process and found myself with an invalid product Key: "The software licensing service determined that this specified product(upgrade disk) can conly be used for upgrading, not for clean installations."

@WoodyZ-Iread your link and agree with moosooboo.  I just wasn't interested in tinkering anymore; however, I agree that the registry tweak would do.

Since I wanted to retire the issue, I went to my 2nd option: completed an upgrade from an existing  Windows 7 x64 image and prompted the install to not save any files. That seem to have gone well so far. And, I've done all I can with the day.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@WoodyZ-Iread your link and agree with moosooboo.  I just wasn't interested in tinkering anymore; however, I agree that the registry tweak would do.

One of the links on the page I originally linked to is http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible/ and it is so simple to do and takes no time at all.  I can't understand why so many users are so intimidated by changing a 1 to 0 and running a simple command, slmgr /rearm, afterwards and then reboot.  The entire tweak process takes all but a couple of minutes at best! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos