VMware Communities
jaubine
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5.0.2 reinstallation failure

I recently had a sleeping MacBook Pro running OS X 10.7.5 get reset on a cold boot, and since then, I have been having issues trying to get my VM's to start - they keep erroring out with the "cannot open /dev/vmmon No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded." message. I checked several forums and support threads around this issue, and tried the 3 main recommendations per KB1003484:

- rebooting the machine

- fixing disk permissions through disk utility

- removing the application per KB1017838 instructions and reinstalling

I also tried:

- running sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/boot.sh --stop (and subsequent --start) - the start returned an error regarding not being able to find a file or unable to run a command; I didnt capture the details unfortunately)

- starting VMware app as root user from terminal (same issue)

I get through completely eradicating VMware from the machine (and reboot for good measure), download the 5.0.2 lite (build 900491) installer package from VMware, but when I try to install it, I am met with the following error:

Unable to run VMware Fusion

VMware Fusion is damaged and could not be repaired. Please move the VMware Fusion application to the trash and reinstall VMware Fusion.

The only option provided is to quit.

Kind of an odd/misnomer error since it's not actually installed - I verified all of the directories noted in the cleanout KB (1017838) article that VMware does not exist on the machine outside of the mounted disk image that was downloaded.

If I copy the app from its little disk image popup to /Applications and run it, it seems to go through the normal process of registration, asking for license key, etc just fine. I can create a new VM, but the moment I try and start it, I'm met with my original error regarding not being able to open /dev/vmmon.

I'm at a loss of what to do from here..

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jaubine
Contributor
Contributor

Update - I ended up reinstalling Mac OS over top the existing installation, and it appeared to have cleared up the problem - I was able to install Fusion without any further errors or problems, and my VM's started up with out any issues as well.

0 Kudos