VMware Communities
jsweet
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5.0.2 and Ethernet/WIFI Virtualization Behavior

In Fusion 4.x, I was able to enable Ethernet on the guest image while leaving the host Ethernet disabled.   In Fusion 5.x, this does not seem to be possible anymore.

Is it still possible to enable Ethernet in a VM while leaving the host's Ethernet off?   If so, is there a recommended way to make this work.

Also, is it possible to the host and guest connect to two different WIFI networks?   I assume no based on my tests, but I wanted to check.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What explicitly and specifically are you trying to do?

Yes the Host and Guest can be on two different WiFi Networks however you'd have to use a USB Wi-Fi Network Adapter, supplied by you, attached to the Virtual Machine.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The answer for ethernet is much the same - if you install a USB ethernet adapter and assign it to the guest, then yes.  Otherwise, the host adapter is always available to the host.

jsweet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks folks.   You answered my questions.

In our work environment, the guest image s allowed access to restricted networks that the host is not.   I just wanted to see if this could be separated using virtual network ports.   Sounds like the answer is no.   Thanks for the suggestions on accessory options though.   Not perfect, but it may help in some cases.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

jsweet wrote: ... I just wanted to see if this could be separated using virtual network ports.   Sounds like the answer is no.

I never said it couldn't be done, I wanted clarification on what you were trying to do and now that I have it I can tell you what can be done natively without the use of an external Network Adapter.

If you set the Virtual Machine's Network Adapter to Bridged while assigning a Static IP Address in the 169.254.0.0 subnet to the Host's Network Adapter then the Guest will get connectivity via VMware Bridge Protocol while the Host itself will not have direct Network Connectivity.

0 Kudos
jsweet
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.   Will give that a try.

0 Kudos