VMware Communities
BartP
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 5.0.2 - Network keeps disappearing

Running VMWare Fusion 5.0.2.  All of my client machines use bridged networking set to the use the physical ethernet port (not autodetect).  Randomly, networking stops working across all VM's simultaneously - if mulitiple VM's are running they all lose networking at the exact same time.  Networking on the host machine never skips a beat.

In Fusion 4.x it looks like there was a way to restart Fusion's networking services from the Console. With 5.x, it looks like the only solution is to shut down all running VM's, quit Fusion, and then start it back up.

Questions:

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Any thoughts as to what might be causing it?

Is there anyway to restart the network services in 5.x without quitting Fusion?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If it's a corporate router, many are configured to only grant a single IP per MAC address.  NAT networking solves that.

0 Kudos
BartP
Contributor
Contributor

Not a corporate router.  Some of the VM's are set to have static IP addresses in the router's DHCP config, some are set to use DHCP assignments.  Everything works fine when VMWare Fusion starts up, it just randomly stops working and when it happens it happens to all VM's at once.  The only way to bring back is to quit and restart Fusion, then everything works again for a random amount of time.  Clients inlude Windows 7, WIndows XP, and Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
BartP
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the instructions in the KB to completely remove Fusion 5.x from the system, emptied the trash, rebooted, and re-installed Fusion 5.0.2.  Will see if that has any impact on the issue.

0 Kudos
BartP
Contributor
Contributor

Seemed to help, but still randomly loosing the network connection until I quit/restart fusion.

0 Kudos