VMware Communities
steve3432
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4 - half baked

As a longtime vmware fusion user I have downloaded 4.01 trial. I encountered several serious bugs and problems within the first 15 minutes of usage:

General problems

- The "Upgrade Now..." option does not work. It just directs me to a site on vmware.com which contains this message: "Product data is unavailable. Please accept our apologies for this inconvenience."

- When I enter full screen mode in a VM when OS X video mirroring is enabled, the VM is minimized into the bottom left corner of the desktop - in this state I cannot interact with the VM - I have to kill Fusion alltogether

Problems with a Windows 7 VM:

- Totally corrupt rendering in IE9 - I had to apply "registry hacks" to fix the issue.

- Aero taskbar thumbnails not working in Windows 7

- Aero transparency colors slightly offset (darker than usual)

- Windows Media video playback does not work at all (blank screen inside the Media Player applivation)

I have a strong feeling that this is a rushed, not properly tested release. Smiley Sad

For the first time, I downloaded the trial version of Parallels (version 7) for comparison. It imported and started my Fusion VM without problems, and everything worked withouht a hitch as I expected. I am am seriously considering upgrading to Parallels 7 (especially the upgrade costs only $29.9 for Fusion users, which seems to be a better deal than $49.9 for Fusion 4).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
markn456
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed. I don't do anything fancy. I just run Window 64 so I can run Quicken and Quickbooks pro.  Performance took a big hit under Fusion 4. Fusion 3 was more stable and better performance than Fusion 4 by a large margin. Very disappointed with the upgrade. 

Also, where are all these new features?  I don't see all that much difference other than some changes to the interface and a big drop in performance.

Smiley Sad

Mark

0 Kudos
SK9985
Contributor
Contributor

Quite disappointing release for sure. I'm getting more and more frustrated with the Aero performance every day. I think I will give Parallels a chance here...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

steve3432 wrote: As a longtime vmware fusion user

Since your profile says "Member Since: Sep 18, 2011" and this is your first and, so far, only post then I have to doubt the validity of that statement.

0 Kudos
steve3432
Contributor
Contributor

Whatever. I made a quick search in my inbox, I've been using Fusion since June 2007 (1.0 beta4). I think what you see is the date when I joined to this forum (I joined recently only to express my frustration over Fusion 4...) But the issue is really not whether I am a longtime user or not, but the quality of this release, which seems subpar to me (maybe I'm wrong, or my Mac/VM has issues).

I wish Fusion good luck, but since my last post I purchased the Parallels upgrade for $29, and am happy with it. I still have my Fusion 3.1 license, so maybe in the future I'll change back. The only thing I hate about Parallels is its horrendous slightly less polished Dock icon, IMHO Fusion has a much nicer one. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SK9985
Contributor
Contributor

Half baked, yes. I switched to Parallels a couple of days ago and want to let you know that I didn't regret it. It's much faster and not a single crash so far. Fusion crashed almost daily...

0 Kudos
BerndWiegmann
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using VMware products since Workstation 1 or 2 and just joined the forum when I had real problems. The first time was with VMWare server which was a quite messy experience for me and now it is Fusion.

0 Kudos
markn456
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Downloaded and applied the update. All my issues have been corrected.  So, time to take it out of the oven!  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos