VMware Communities
komohi2222
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4: cannot connect to existing Workgroup

After I have downloaded VMware Fusion 4 Trial Version and run Upgrade from 3 to 4, Windows XP as the guest OS

could not connect existing Windows Workgroup network and Internet.

This means network is totally dead.

I have checked Windows Device Manager, My Network and other network related menus.

However, nothing has happend for the recovery of the connection.:smileyangry:

I also looked into the settings menu of the Fusion 4, but I could not find any solution unfortunately.

Conclusion: I have deleted Fusion 4 and reinstall Fusion 3, and finally get back to the previous environment.

A Japanese user said that it is not necessary to upgrade from Fusion 3 to Fusion 4 when the user is running

Windows XP as a guest OS and no need for 3D graphics or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion as the host OS.

I agree with this!Smiley Wink

(Using: MacBook Pro 13.3", Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6.8, Windows XP SP3)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

On my primary system I'm using VMware Fusion 3 and Parallels 7 and have no intension to upgrade to VMware Fusion 4 on this system at the present time however on a secondary system I have VMware Fusion 4 installed and have no problems with networking, so it can/does work.

Is there any reason why you didn't first ask for help here before going back to VMware Fusion 3?  (Maybe you already tried official VMware Fusion Support although while using the trial I don't think official support is available.)

0 Kudos
komohi2222
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Thank you for your prompt comment.Smiley Happy

If I can create external bootable disk, it would be a test system for using Fusion 4 Trial Version as new.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you only have one Mac you can clone your existing HDD to a FireWire Drive and boot from it or do a clean install to the FireWire Drive.  This will enable you to have a physical test environment.

BTW If you do that I'd suggest setting the internal HDD not to mount when booting from the external HDD.

In the /etc/fstab file on the external HDD add the following as an example:

# Internal Macintosh HD Volume
UUID=C05CAAB2-04F3-3384-840A-BB905BAAA0A0 none hfs rw,noauto

NOTE: Substitute your actual UUID for the one in the example.

0 Kudos