VMware Communities
RHamaker
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4 Network and USB Problems

Hello, i just upgraded my system from Fusion 3.5 to Fusion 4.  When i did i launched my Windows 7 VM and the network adapter will not connect, nor will any of my USB devices connect.  If i try to attach a USB device i get the error "Unable to connect the USB Device '(device name)' the the virtual machine (error code 4)."  I have 6 or 7 different devices connected to my Mac, and all give me the same error message.  I am also getting no connectivity whatsoever with my network adapter.  Fusion is set to connected and bridged mode but still no connection.  I have tried in all modes and on my other VM's are doing the same thing so it has to be something with the settings in the fusion software.  My apologies if this is to vague, if you can offer any assistance i would greatly appreciate it.  My host is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Thanks

Rory

0 Kudos
36 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you are encountering issues connecting USB devices please file a support request on this page:

https://www.vmware.com/support/contacts/file-sr.html

Complimentary web/email support is included for 18-months following the release of VMware Fusion 4.

Our support team has been able to assist a number of customers with USB issues already.

Simon

0 Kudos
avayable
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion update 4.0.2 fixed this issue, as well as my Mac freezing when starting Bootcamp as a VM - I'd highly recommend installing it.

0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Tried 4.0.2. It made absolutely no difference for me. It does not seem to be a general solution. Did you do anything else than just installing 4.0.2? DId you upgrade from 3.1.3 or from 4.0.1?

0 Kudos
moschaake
Contributor
Contributor

OK, were are getting closer! Thanks to VMWare support - they are doing a great job finding the needle in the haystack.

Try this:

- Shut down your vm (Fusion may stay open)

- Open a terminal session then

•          cd /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library
  •          chown root:wheel services.sh
  •          chmod 755 services.sh

This should be done only once.

Then before firing up your vm:

sudo ./services.sh --stop

sudo ./services.sh --start

You should now be able to connect your USB devices.

Everytime after starting the Fusion app you should manually restart the services script.

Cheers,

Marc-Oliver

0 Kudos
pierrot
Contributor
Contributor

I found out something else, as the others leads don't work for me.

1. Start Vmware Fusion

2. Select prefs and "activate debogage" option

3. Start your VM -> USB devices are all selectable

As soon as I don't start VM guest with debogage option, i've got a message "error 4"

If someone can explain what is the exact job of ths option, because there is no difference in the activity of the log file vmware-vmfusion.log ?

rgds.

Pierre.

0 Kudos
eveniff
Contributor
Contributor

I logged a call with VMWare support. The nice people there supplied a "workaround.tool" that when run modifies the "services.sh" startup script for VMWare Fusion to put an extra "sleep 1" call in the startup entry point.

That is, the problem is a timing problem.... which probably explains why some people have an issue but others do not.

I have suggested to support that they might post the script to the community to save them having to repond to a lot of support requests.

So, if you have this problem .. log a support request Smiley Happy

- J

0 Kudos
pierrot
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your feedback.

It's now clear about the real source of the problem.

I'm sure now that the fix will be available soon, just before all vmware client try an alternate virtualization solution !

Pierre.

0 Kudos
spuder
Contributor
Contributor

First Time Poster: Feel free to correct my ediquite

Can't get usb working either on my vmware fusion 4. Unlike others, I have enabled debugging in the preferences, yet when I click to add a usb device, nothing happens.

Here are the Facts:  Unlikely that they make a difference, posted just in case

Fresh install of Lion (not upgrade)

My home directory is on a seperate drive

Virtual Machines: 12, 2 of which are windows, the rest are linux

Possible that I installed 4 incorectly by dragging to applications folder instead of clicking 'Click here to upgrade from 3.0' in the installer dmg.

Have since completely uninstalled with app zapper and reinstalled by both methods, upgrade button and drag to applications method.

I don't keep my vms in the default folder that they create when you install

Mine are in a folder called Virtual Machines inside my home directory

2010 Summer i5 Macbook Pro with 8gb ram

60 gb solid state

750 gig WD black hard drive (Cd rom removed) more info on my blog http://spuder.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/hard-drive-upgrade/

I welcome any other thoughts, Here are step by step what I have done from the first time I installed it.

First expirence with fusion 4

-Had vmware 3.x
-removed 3.x from applications folder because kept getting (this already exists when trying to drag 4 to applicaitons
-Dragged 4 to applications
-Started up virtual machines, 7 64bit, xp pro, ubuntu
-Shutdown virtual machine
-updated vms to 4 engine
-booted and installed vmware tools

-This is when i noticed that i didn't have usb

-Booted off mac disk
-repaired disk permissions

-still no usb

-reinstalled vmware tools
-restarted
-unistalled vmware tools
-restarted
-reinstalled vmware tools

-uninstalled usb drivers from device manager
-reboot
-detected usb from device manager
-reboot
-shutdown & remove usb support from vmware prefs
-startup

-no usb as expected
-shutdown
-enable usb in vmware prefs
-startup, shutdown
-disable usb 2.0
-startup shutdown

-reverted all virtual machines to 3.0 engine
-shutdown (not just suspend) all virtual machines

-changed to vmware directory as mentioned in other post
-chown root:wheel services.sh
-chmod 755 services.sh

-sudo ./services.sh --stop
-sudo ./services.sh --start

(realized that those are 2 dashes - - infront of the stop and start)

-attached hard drive as usb device, instead of mouse I was previously trying
-restarted vm, cant connect mouse or hard drive to vm via usb

-app zapper, completely removed v 4.
-installed fresh download of vmware fusion 4.0.2-491587

-relized that I proably didn't upgrade from 3 correctly the first time
-should have clicked upgrade button, instead of dragging to applications

-dragged vmware image from no default folder
-booted windows 7

-Still no usb!!, clicking on add usb device, does nothing

Please bounce some ideas off me. When I get this figured out, I will post the fix on my blog and in this fourm.

http://spuder.wordpress.com

0 Kudos
wooter
Contributor
Contributor

Then before firing up your vm:

sudo ./services.sh --stop

sudo ./services.sh --start

This solved it for me.

0 Kudos
eveniff
Contributor
Contributor

That will because you have circumvented the timing problem.

The correct fix is available from VMWare support, and by fixing it, you don't need to be manually stopping and starting the services.

- J

0 Kudos
moschaake
Contributor
Contributor

Well,

at least for me "the official" fix does not work for me. I saw it having manipulated the services.sh script but this does not change the behaviour.

Only by stopping and restarting services I get USB support.

0 Kudos
eveniff
Contributor
Contributor

So, you ran the "workaround.tool" from VMWare Support, which patched the services.sh with an extra "sleep" .. and it still did not work?

If not, you should be asking for a fix from VMWare, because having to stop/start services.sh manually is a *work around*/cludge, not a fix.

- J

0 Kudos
moschaake
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did.

But if it comes to timing problems every machine is different....

0 Kudos
wooter
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
astley
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same error once you turn off the Debugging in Preference Diagnostics after upgraded from VM Fusion 3.13 to 4.02.

This problem was annoying me for over 1 week resulted to uninstall and reinstall VM Tools serveral times, as like the other user experienced, and tried many other ways but won't fix it.

Finally I got the solution, turn on the Debugging, shut down the Win 7 and then quit the VM F4. The USB works well when you turn on the WM again!!

BTW,  the Workaround Tool is able to solve the USB problem. My VM4.02 is working fine now.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200736...

MacBookAir 13", mid 2011, OSX 10.7.2 Lion, Core i5, 4G RAM, 256G SSD

0 Kudos
allan747
Contributor
Contributor

Weird.

Downgraded to v3, now upgraded to 4.02 with diagnostics OFF and it seems (touch wood) to be working.

0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Just want to update my status on this. After installing 4.0.2 once again and following http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200736... it now seems as if USB is working for me – finally!

I only needed to run the workaround.tool (as administrator) in order to get it to work.

Just for the record – since this is supposed to be a timing problem.

The specs of my machine:

MBP 15" 2011

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

OS X Lion (10.7.1 when i started following this thread, now 10.7.2)

OCZ-Vertex3 240 GB SSD (SATA-3)

0 Kudos