VMware Communities
RHamaker
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4 Network and USB Problems

Hello, i just upgraded my system from Fusion 3.5 to Fusion 4.  When i did i launched my Windows 7 VM and the network adapter will not connect, nor will any of my USB devices connect.  If i try to attach a USB device i get the error "Unable to connect the USB Device '(device name)' the the virtual machine (error code 4)."  I have 6 or 7 different devices connected to my Mac, and all give me the same error message.  I am also getting no connectivity whatsoever with my network adapter.  Fusion is set to connected and bridged mode but still no connection.  I have tried in all modes and on my other VM's are doing the same thing so it has to be something with the settings in the fusion software.  My apologies if this is to vague, if you can offer any assistance i would greatly appreciate it.  My host is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Thanks

Rory

0 Kudos
36 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like a virtual hardware or tools issue. I'd suggest uninstalling the current version of Tools, shutting down your VM then upgrading to the latest compatibility level (Settings -> Compatibility -> Fusion 4) then reinstalling the latest version of Tools.

Simon

0 Kudos
moschaake
Contributor
Contributor

I keep getting these error messages too.

After a few reboots, multiple de- and reinstallation of VMWare tools they stop occuring for a while.

Sorry to tell that but in three 3,5 years using a Mac I haven´t rebootet the machine as much as after upgrading to Fusion 4.

0 Kudos
logicalvue
Contributor
Contributor

I've now tried two Windows 7 VMs and have the same issue with the network adapter not being recognized.  This is with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and WIndows 7 x86 Ultimate.

I've tried both NAT and Bridged, but the VM does not see the network adapter.  Both VMs were upgrade to VM4 compatibility.

When I run the Windows Troubleshooter it tells me that "The Local Area Connection 2 adapter is disabled."  Having Windows attempt to fix that does not help.

I am running a Mac Pro (Nehalem) and it is connected to the network with Ethernet.

I'd love to hear suggestions from anyone.

-- Paul
0 Kudos
logicalvue
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstalling VMware Tools did not work and neither did adding and removing the network device in VMware Settings.

However, after rebooting my Mac Pro, the networking came up in my VMs and has been working fine.

I guess us Mac users are not used to restarting their computers after installing software!

-- Paul
0 Kudos
fwennberg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem... a funny thing though... if I run my win7 gueast in debug-mode... usb works just fine... so I cant even debug the problem... 😞

btw... I am running Lion... so there seems to be a "generic" problem with USB...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds like unloading the Fusion 3 networking wasn't working correctly - forcing the Mac to reboot will allow the VMware Fusion 4 version to load. Thank you for posting the update.

Simon

0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

My situation:

OSX Lion 10.7.1

VMWare Fusion 4.0.1

8 GB RAM, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

I had Fusion 3 installed before. After upgrading no USB devices work. I have tried the suggestions in this thread:

* reinstalled Tools

* rebooting my Mac

* uninstalling Fusion manually (removing remaining traces of Fusion 3)

* reinstalling Fusion 4

* rebooting again

(actually there were far more reboots than I care to tell...)

nothing works, I still get error code 4 bla bla bla.

0 Kudos
logicalvue
Contributor
Contributor

I will also add that I am using Snow Leopard, not Lion.  Also, I do not use USB with Fusion, so I have no idea if it is working or even related to the networking problems I had.

-- Paul
0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalled Fusion 4 and reinstalled Fusion 3.1.3 and now USB is back in working order!

Before uninstalling Fusion 4 I made sure I changed the compatibility setting of the virtual machine so that it would work with Fusion 3 (from settings/compatibility).

0 Kudos
koreysed
Contributor
Contributor

I am on Lion, and just upgraded to Fusion 4.  Had the same issue and just tried this on one of my Windows (2003) VMs and it worked for me.

1. Shutdown VM
  2. Change compatibility to Fusion 4
  3. Start VM
  4. Remove USB controllers
  5. Scan for hardware changes.

USB started to work.  have not played around enough to make sure it is permenant or works on all VMs.

KS

0 Kudos
ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VMWare Fusion 4 with Lion. I had no problems with 3.1.3 and Lion. But after the upgrade, I simply cannot get any USB devices to connect. I click "Connect USB Flash Drive" or something similar from the menu and simply nothing happens.

I was able to get it to work once after restarting my computer, and then the VM (having the disk already connected), but I have been unable to get any USB devices at all to connect since then.

I have checked my permissions on / - they are fine.

I have removed the USB controllers from device manager and re-installed - didn't work

I have unchecked USB 2.0 support just in-case that had something to do with it - didn't work

I downgraded the machine to be VMWare Fusion 3 compatible and that didn't work either.

However, I opened the same VM in a trial of Parallels and it worked fine. Any ideas? I'm going to have to make the switch if I can't get this resolved soon.

Edit: I also re-installed VMware Tools and that didn't help either.

0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that, does not make any difference at all for me. I uninstalled VMWare tools, uninstalled anything related to USB (devices, controllers etc). The error persists. This is extremely annoying.

0 Kudos
clayq
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issues above - 4.0.1, when connecting anything on USB, nothing happens.  I have tried all the fixes above, no dice - I'm guessing a patch will be required to fix this one...

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

mikaellu,

You can try the follwing steps:

1.Shutdown the VM.

2.From the VM settings, select "USB & Bluetooth" -> Advanced USB options.

3.Click "Remove USB Controller".

4.Re-add the USB Controller by clicking "Add USB Controller"

5.Start up the VM.

Hope this can help your VM to re-recognize your USB device.

0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Thans for the input. Tried "Remove USB controller", the problem persits. Then I tried combining this tip with previous ones (removing VMWare tools, removing USB devices through "Device Manager") still no go. Going back - again - to 3.1.3 which is surpisingly easy.

0 Kudos
allan747
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent thread, shame it has no resolution.

I have exactly the same problem except the networking side has always worked for me. But USB - dead as with the dreaded error 4.

My setup

- core i7 Macbook pro, 8G memory.

- Windows 7

- two usb/serial port controllers

All working fine for years (through windows XP and then for about 6 months on WIn 7. NO ISSUES

The upgrade to Fusion 4.0 killed it. Same error. Error code 4. Tried all ofthe above. No effect.

Might be relevant, like the first poster I was running two network interface adapters on when I did the upgrade. Uninstalling/switching the second one off makes no difference now but of course the damage may have been done!

Most useful tip in the tread has been how to downgrade, am going to try and do that next as I need this setup working.

Will upgrade again once there is a solution as I LIKE Fusion version 4 in other respects excpet I cant use it for my work!

Snippet of information: I get the SAME ERROR CODE 4 with the Apple BUILT IN DEVICES. ie Camera, IR controller, Card reader etc. This looks like a generic incompatability with the onboard USB controllers so something along that lines.

0 Kudos
svaradha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi guy's!

Try this, I'm sure it will fix your problem -> KB Article: 2004687

Good luck! Smiley Happy

www.satheesh.net

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. :) Regards, -Satheesh-
0 Kudos
mikaellu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

but

here is what ls -ld / returns for me (and USB does NOT work for me)

drwxr-xr-x  34 root  wheel  1224 26 Sep 08:01 /

ie permissions are correct as well as owner and group, so unfortunately this isn't the solution for me at least Smiley Sad

//Mikael

0 Kudos
eveniff
Contributor
Contributor

I also have exactly the same problem - I upgraded to Fusion 4 today, and the could not get Windows 7 nor XP to attach to the USB. Attempting to connect gets the same (error code 4).

I've uninstalled, re-installed, rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled VM tools and changed the root directory permissions - as suggested in that KB article. I've given up and reverted to 3.1.3 because I need to use USB devices under Windows.

OS/X 10.6.8

Very frustrating, particularly since 3.x has worked very nicely for a long time. If it is not fixed soon, I'll have to ask for my money back.

- J

0 Kudos