VMware Communities
mw60025
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 4.1.1 erases files on Mac Desktop that are deleted in Fusion

I have Fusion 4.1.1 installed on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8.  If I download a file to the Mac desktop and then drag and drop it onto the desktop of Windows XP running under Fusion, a "copy" box comes up indicating that the file is being copied to the virtual machine.  If the file is 95MB, for example, the copy box shows the progress of copying 95MB to the virtual machine.  So far, so good.  At the same time, a file is created on the Mac Desktop that is a duplicate of the file dragged to the Windows virtual OS.  If I trash the file on the Mac desktop, it eliminates the file on the Windows desktop as well.  I have VMware Fusion setup in Full Screen mode and have a second monitor on the Mac where I have dragged the VMware virtual machine.

It's as if the file from the Mac desktop was actually the only real file and the one on the virtual machine was a "shortcut" or "alias" to the file.  Not sure if I just have something I have to tweak in the Fusion settings to prevent this, or if this is normal behavior.

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you've turned on the Mirrored Folders feature of VMware Fusion for at least the Desktop for that Virtual Machine.  Check the Mirrored Folders settings in the Virtual Machine's Settings and uncheck the Desktop check box under Mirrored Folders.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you've turned on the Mirrored Folders feature of VMware Fusion for at least the Desktop for that Virtual Machine.  Check the Mirrored Folders settings in the Virtual Machine's Settings and uncheck the Desktop check box under Mirrored Folders.

0 Kudos