VMware Communities
DurocShark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 4.1.1 and Win8 Bootcamp

I have a Win8 running in a Bootcamp, and want to use it with Fusion. But I keep getting:

The Boot Camp partition is not prepared to run as a virtual machine. It appears that Windows did not shut down cleanly the last time it was used.

I've tried shutting the Bootcamp down manually as well as the "Restart in OSX mode" function. I get the same results.

This is on an i5 MBP with 10.7.3 and 16GB.

Anybody get this working?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm afraid that we don't have support for Windows 8 Boot Camp at this time. The issue you are seeing is coming out of the NTFS handling as we prep the machine for running in a VM, but if you did get past that, the available versions of Fusion do not have support for the changes in Windows Activation that are new with Windows 8. Your boot camp partition would see an unexpected hardware change on each switch from VM <-> Boot Camp and would eventually declare itself not genuine.

We are looking into these issues but I cannot make a statement about future products. For now, your best bet is to install Windows 8 in a VM directly, which does work, and to restart into Boot Camp if you want to use the boot camp partition.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm afraid that we don't have support for Windows 8 Boot Camp at this time. The issue you are seeing is coming out of the NTFS handling as we prep the machine for running in a VM, but if you did get past that, the available versions of Fusion do not have support for the changes in Windows Activation that are new with Windows 8. Your boot camp partition would see an unexpected hardware change on each switch from VM <-> Boot Camp and would eventually declare itself not genuine.

We are looking into these issues but I cannot make a statement about future products. For now, your best bet is to install Windows 8 in a VM directly, which does work, and to restart into Boot Camp if you want to use the boot camp partition.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Since Boot Camp doesn't support Windows 8 either, you're probably far far ahead of the curve.

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, technically Windows 8 is still on beta-version, so expect more bugs and issues that you may encounter like in my part my Mashita DVD was not recognized, other driver issues, etc., and I wouldn't expect for an update sooner for Windows 8 since it's still on preview version not even an RC.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
DurocShark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.

I was just hoping I was missing something. Smiley Sad

I'm really liking 8, now that I've figured out Metro and how to make it a lot less Metro. I have real VMs on my servers that I use for most windows stuff, but I put 8 in bootcamp to give it every hardware advantage I could for its evaluation.

Now I wanted to see how it played in this environment. Not well. At least not yet. Smiley Wink

(Hmm... I wonder if I can use Windows Backup in 8 to rebuild it as a VM in Fusion. Hmm...)

0 Kudos
Skullcandy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are also having this exact same issue with Windows 8. Dug into Google on the issue and this has been the best lead so far yet.

Using Fusion 4.1.2 and Windows 8 Bootcamp will not boot and gives the error cited in the original post. Have any solutions to this issue been found?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1) Fusion doesn't support Windows 8

2) Boot Camp doesn't support Windows 8

3) Microsoft doesn't support Windows 8

Those have to be fixed in reverse order :-).    I wouldn't expect fusion support until both 3 and 2 are fixed, and I wouldn't expect 2 until 3 is fixed.

0 Kudos
Skullcandy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I understand that there is currently no official support. I was hoping someone found an unsupported work around for this issue.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just want to say that Win8 Boot Camp support is available in VMware Fusion Tech Preview 2, now available at the VMware download site.

0 Kudos