VMware Communities
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 4.0.1-Windows 7-64 - no audio device

I upgraded, and upgraded the tools on one BootCamp and one totally virtual Windows 7-64 installation. "No audio device installed." I upgraded the machine type to 4.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, repaired - no change.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Can you go to VM settings to see if there is a Sound card in Removable Devices, if not, add it from Add Device..., Fusion 4 add a new feature say HD Audio, your old sound card will change to High Definition Audio Device during upgrade.

Screen Shot 2011-09-15 at 10.50.14 PM.png

0 Kudos
timhenrion
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the same problem with Windows 7 32-bit. My VM is a Boot Camp VM. When it starts up, the volume control tray icon says "no audio device". I've tried deleting/recreating the VM and removing/re-adding the Sound Card in the VM configuration. No joy.

0 Kudos
haralds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try manually editing the VMX file in the package with a text editor.

Shut down the VM.

Right click on VM, select "Show Package Contents..."

Find the MachineName.VMX configuration file.

Make sure, there is a line:

sound.present = "TRUE"

I would delete all other sound.... stuff, and let it configure later.

Save, restart the VM.

This worked for me in 3 cases.

0 Kudos
rzulch
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with upgrading from Fusion 3.1.3 to Fusion 4.0.2. None of the above suggestions worked, but I opened the Windows Device Manager via the Sound & Hardware control panel and found an "Unknown Device" which was the HD audio sound card. Uninstalling its driver caused Windows 7 to automatically reinstall the driver, which then worked.

(The problem appears to be due to a race condition on the upgrade. On the first post-upgrade boot, Windows 7 tagged the new audio card as unknown prior to the VMware Tools Installer getting the driver in place. That the various Windows diagnostic and repair utilities couldn't figure that out is a serious Win7 shortcoming. This was a problem back in the Win2K days--I thought they had fixed that kind of thing.)

0 Kudos
jmcombs
Contributor
Contributor

This is what fixes the problem.  I'd mark this as the solution.

0 Kudos
BrianHoa
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to edit the VMX file, but its locked. I am running VM fusion on iMac with VM windows 7

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BrianHoa wrote: I tried to edit the VMX file, but its locked. I am running VM fusion on iMac with VM windows 7

The Virtual Machine should to be shutdown, not suspended and VMware Fusion closed when manually editing the .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos