VMware Communities
chrismac88
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4.0.1 (4.0.2) and OS X Lion as guest / video corruption 2009 Macbook Pro

Is there anyone out there with the same configuration as me and experiencing the same issue?

I have a mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro....running OS X Lion 10.7.1.   Just purchased VM Ware Version 4.0.1 looking to run Lion in a VM for development.

After installing Lion as a guest, the screen, the video, looks fine, except the resolution in full screen mode is not native, of course because VMWare Tools is not installed yet.   So I install it, and upon reboot, full screen is now in native resolution, but at the login screen, the screen only stays readable for a few moments before the whole screen goes "crazy" and the video is corrupted and you can't read anything on the screen.

If I leave full screen and switch to single window, the login screen briefly becomes readable again before it gets corrupted once again and is completely unreadable.

Here is a screenshot in single window view.....

vmware.jpg

Message was edited by: chrismac88

0 Kudos
23 Replies
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Two things, first does the problem clear up if you disable 3D?  With VM powered off, go to Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display and set Accelerate 3D graphics to Off.

Second thing, please provide the model and Graphics device for your Mac, it will be under Apple (upper-left) -> About this Mac -> More Info -> Hardware -> Model Identifier.  Graphics is under Hardware -> Graphics/Display -> Chipset Model.

0 Kudos
fusion_enthusia
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiecing the same issue.  It happens particularly when I'm resizing the window, or going to full screen mode.  If I resize, the video shakes violently, then slowly stabilizes.  When I get the video corruption and resize, I briefly see the desktop as is shakes, then it equalizes to the corrupt video.  I have to shut down the VM and restart to restore the video.

I have an iMac11,3 with an ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB, with the 27" native display and a 30" HP LP3065.  I'm having issues with Lion VMs on top of Lion.

0 Kudos
chrismac88
Contributor
Contributor

Accelerate 3D graphics was already set to off.  The setting says it's only for Windows, so I didn't have it enabled.  I enabled just to see if it had any effect, and it did not.   The same behavior was observed.

The model identifier is MacBookPro5,5.   I had meant to include the graphics chipset, but forgot.   It's an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 256MB VRAM.

0 Kudos
tylerv2
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue using a MacBook Pro (early 2011).

0 Kudos
jmm10134
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue using a MacBook Pro (early 2010).  Has anyone found a resolution to this?

0 Kudos
tylerv2
Contributor
Contributor

I have not seen or heard of a resolution to this problem yet. I find that when I start in windowed mode it works ok. If I start full screen or switch from windowed to full screen it happens.

0 Kudos
chrismac88
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the update to 4.0.2.   It did not fix the problem.....still encounter the video corruption.

0 Kudos
BerndWiegmann
Contributor
Contributor

I have experienced the same problem. After I installed Lion everything was fine but after a reboot the screen on the guest was just messed up. I found out that switching the guest to window mode and back to fullscreen fixes the problem for the current session. After reboot it is still the same.

Hardware is a MB Pro wit a gforce 8600 card and Snow Leopard Host OS. 3D was switched off.

4.0.2 took care of this problem (kind of) because the virtual machie doesn't start at all anymore.

Bernd

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the info and report on this issue, we have reproduced this in house, and are investigating.

0 Kudos
flyshoo
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone find a solution.  I have the latest fusion and mac os x updates but still have this issue, Mac mini 2011 server.  I can't use a lion guest os with the current version of vmware tools.

0 Kudos
sitetroniq
Contributor
Contributor

I experiece the same problem, even after the 4.02 update. But i believe i found a quick fix. At least is working for me, for now.

1. Start the Mac OS X VM in "Single Window"

2. Go to "System Preferences" in the Mac OS X Lion VM.

3. Click on "Displays"

4. Change the resolution in the VM to the same resulution as on your VMWare host machine (e.g. 1920x1200)

5. Now change the View-type to "Full Screen"

This is not a fix to the graphic corruption error, but a quick fix to get it working, while waiting for a permanent fix from VMWare.

There is no need to disable "Accelerate 3D Graphics" under VM Settings.

Reg. Robert

0 Kudos
Cobalt_Jacket
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still seeing this with Fusion 4.1 and OS X Lion 10.7.2 as both the host and guest. Has there been any resolution?

All Apple patches have been installed in both host and guest, and VMware Tools is up to date as well.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What build of Lion?

I had to recreate my VM with 10.7.2 and 4.0.2 to get everything to work properly - and make sure you use the easy installer.

0 Kudos
blindjustis
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same issue - to be clear it only occurred after installing vmware tools.

before that screen was fine.

Mac Pro

2 Monitors

VMWare Fusion 4.1.1

MAC OSX 10.6.8 Host

0 Kudos
adrianm
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue on my Mac Pro - guest machine is unusable as I cannot get the screen to stay "up" long enough to log in.

Am copying the VM over to my MacBook Pro to see if that is any better.

Hope there is a resolution soon.

0 Kudos
DavidNL
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the corrupted screen problem, running Lion 10.7.3 and Fusion 4.1.1 on a Macbook Air (2011) :'(

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Well, you're not allowed to virtulize 10.7 client on 10.6 host (unless the 10.6 is a server version) by Apple's EULA.

0 Kudos
DavidNL
Contributor
Contributor

dlhotka wrote:

Well, you're not allowed to virtulize 10.7 client on 10.6 host (unless the 10.6 is a server version) by Apple's EULA.

In my country you are not allowed to drive your car faster than 120 km/h. That doesn't mean when i drive 140 my car falls apart.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Discussion of violation of Apple's EULA is not permitted in these forums, and if you're having problems with an unsupported, illegal configuration, expecting support and help is not realistic.

0 Kudos