VMware Communities
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 3 unity issues

I have a few issues with Unity in fusion 3. I only use Fusion for VS2008 and VPNing to out company network.

1) Sometimes when I start debugging in VS2008, it launches my app, but when the window appears, Unity sometimes starts cycling through all the windows very quickly. The whole mac becomes unusable. Sometimes it stops on its own after a few seconds but the last time it happened, I eventually managed to force-quit the Fusion app and start it again. This is an issue that has stopped me using Unity for now and I've switched back to Parallels 5 for comparison and it doesn't have the same issue. I never had this issue under Fusion 2.

2) The task bar icons in the mac menu bar can get out of sync. Our VPN software (AppGate) puts a task bar icon up when you run it. If I quit the app, the task bar icon doesn't disappear from the mac menu bar and if I run the app again, I get 2 copies of the icon in the menu bar. Switching to windowed mode and back again sorts the icons out. In windowed mode the icons behave correctly in the task bar, so this is only a Unity issue.

3) Unity does seem to have a bit of an issue with bringing windows to the foreground when they are launched. Occasionally they appear behind the active window and if that window is maximised (such as VS 2008) then you don't realise the other app has actually launched. Not a major issue but an annoyance and something Parallels seems to deal with better than Fusion.

4) A known issue but hopefully one that can be addressed in an update to v3, is the display of the windows in expose.

Other than that, v3 seems very good and I really like the application menu bar and the fact that you can get to it with a keyboard shortcut and use it lot spotlight for launching windows apps as well as suspend/resume etc. This is a feature that makes unity much better than Parallel's coherence so if the window flickering issue can be sorted, then I'd definitely say Fusion is much more usable (for me) than Parallels 5.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And the one other feature that makes Fusion 3 much more usable than Parallels 5 is that pressing the command key doesn't bring up the start menu. In Parallels, pressing command-space brings up the spotlight search box, but then the start menu appears as a new window and spotlight disappears. Also, everytime you to a command-tab, the start menu appears in Parallels - very annoying.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos