VMware Communities
davidanson
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 3 - Windows XP window opens behind Mac window

Upgraded to version 3 and I have my key applications in the dock. Now when I start them they are coming up behind currently-open Mac application windows rather than on top (in Windows parlance this is called the Z order - don't know if it is the same in Mac Language) which was how they worked in version 2.

Is this a known 'feature' or is there a setting I should change?

TIA

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Z-Order (or Z-Axis) has been around for quite some time, (Greek Geometry), and long before there were computers so it doesn't matter since from a mathematical perspective all windows are arranged using x, y, z coordinates.

Anyway I normally do not use Unity however I just tried it with several different applications both with them closed and then open and placing them behind other OS X and XP windows and in either case the target came to be the top most window on the Z-Axis which is the expected behavior.

My only suggestion is to uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools and if that doesn't change things then uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion and note that doing so does not delete your Virtual Machines.

davidanson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I loaded VMWare Tools but the problem is still there when I run Sage - not when I run Act. Sage starts up by showing a splash screen which is on top but then when the splash screen closes and the main screen opens it is behind the previous top screen so still not quite sure what to do next. It all worked OK when I was running Fusion 2.0.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any way you can turn off the splash from within the application's preferences and try without it loading the splash?

davidanson
Contributor
Contributor

Good idea. Tried looking through the Sage preferences but it doesn't seem possible to do this. Maybe I am just going to have to click the dock icon once to open it up and then again to bring the window to the front.

0 Kudos