VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 3.1.3 and OS X Lion

A new blog posting covering running Fusion 3.1.3 on OS X Lion is now available:

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2011/07/os-x-lion-spotted-in-the-wild.html

Feel free to post your experiences and feedback in this thread.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
81 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I think you've missed the point entirely.  He's aggravated that their statement saying "you shouldn't see any adverse effects" is - in his experience, at least - not accurate (and I'd imagine he'd say not even close to being accurate).

I did both an upgrade install of Mac OS X Lion with VMware Fusion 3.1.3 in place and a clean install of Mac OS X Lion and then installed VMware Fusion 3.1.3 and in both cases I didn't have an real issues that stopped me from using VMware Fusion so AFAIC the comments made by VMware are more on target then not since the number of issues and complaints is relatively low considering the number of users that probably have upgraded and have not reported having no issues.

But doesn't he have the right to complain if they make such a positive statement and then his installatoin gets hosed?  Personally, I'd say he does.

Frankly no one has a right to complain when they have chosen by their own free will to upgrade to a new OS when it first comes out!  VMware didn't hold a gun to flips head (or anyone else for that matter) saying upgrade to Mac OS X Lion or else! Smiley Happy

If I only had one computer then I certainly would not be the first to jump on the upgrade wagon and my primary system is still running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and VMware Fusion 3.1.2 without any issues and I will not upgrade my primary system until Mac OS X Lion has had several point releases and an officially certified version  of VMware Fusion or Parallels.  In the interim I'll play with Mac OS X Lion on my secondary systems and not worry about any issues as I usually can workaround them easily enough.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I've asked the Fusion support team to reach out to flips for more information on this problems he's encountering. VMware Fusion 3.1.3 did include fixes that affect running on OS X Lion, which is why we strongly recommend upgrading to 3.1.3 before installing 10.7.

Simon

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Fusion 3.1.3 did include fixes that affect running on OS X Lion, which is why we strongly recommend upgrading to 3.1.3 before installing 10.7.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever in the VMware Fusion 3.1.3 Release Notes EN (or previous 3.x) that suggests anything was done to it to make it compatible with Mac OS X Lion, unlike the statement, "Provides experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as a host operating system (32-bit only)" in the VMware Fusion 2.0.5 Release Notes EN  (and other statements going forward) when Mac OS X Snow Leopard was getting ready to be released.  

Frankly I believe the truth of the matter is VMware has been more busy with the next version of VMware Fusion more so then with maintaining the current GA Release for compatibility issues with Mac OS X Lion and that is pretty much an industry standard practice surrounding timelines in cases such as this.

I've asked the Fusion support team to reach out to flips for more information on this problems he's encountering.

That's good and frankly VMware should reach out in times like this if they expect to maintain and grow their customer base in situations such as this. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ wrote:

Frankly no one has a right to complain when they have chosen by their own free will to upgrade to a new OS when it first comes out!  VMware didn't hold a gun to flips head (or anyone else for that matter) saying upgrade to Mac OS X Lion or else! Smiley Happy

So the maker bears no responsibility, right?  They make a reassurring statement and, for this person at least, it turns out that he does have problems (and others have reported problems), but the developer has zero responsibility?  This type of attitude takes "personal responsibility" too far.  Even your comment about upgrading to a new OS when it first comes out sends the msg to the developers that "you really don't have to put out a good one the first time, we'll just wait until the x.1 release shows up."

I'd like it more if people held the developers - of an OS, of virtualization software, whatever - more accountable instead of letting them off the hook with a "we know it won't work right the first time" attitude.  Where is their personal responsibility in this?  Not that I expect perfection, but to just blame the users 100% and let the developer off the hook completely is not a very helpful or productive attitude.  And if everyone took your attitude, it'd take much longer for the developers to root out all the hidden bugs that even a good beta can't find.  So a complaint or two is allowed from the early adopters, IMHO.  And it's just a complaint.  It's not like he went postal and started shooting up the place.  I think the people at VMWare are adults and can handle a complaint.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Please keep the discussion on topic and do not get personal.

Re. "he has no right to complain" statement from WoodyZ .. of course the user has the right to complain. That simply falls under "free speech", there's no statement anywhere on the forum that if you choose to run an officially unsupported (*) configuration that you then give up on all your rights.

(*) it is debatable that it is supported or not.

The user was just seeking support here, but was a bit frustrated when he did as he read into the report here that it was "supported", while the status was more to show that it "was known to work". If you are familiar with Q&A then you know those are not the same things and Q&A cannot complete before the official release of Lion gets out of the door. But I understand that not everyone has Q&A experience...

I also understand WoodyZ's remark. It is a bit strong worded, but he's basically just saying. "it was your choice to go that way, unexpected things can happen". In my opinion he should have worded that a bit differently, but that's just my view.

Hope this helps,

-

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Activity Monitor shows vmware-vmx using 99-102.9% of CPU ... what gives with such CPU usage? Was not the case with Snow Leopard (10.6.8)

Other than the CPU load and running a little slow VM 3.1.3 seems to work OK with Lion here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used Migration Assistant to move from Snow Leopard on my MBPro to a Mini with Lion. Fusion starts ok but doesn't load Windows automatically as before, now I have to go to "Open Recent" which shows Windows XP Professional 2.vmwarevm, and once I select it Windows loads and runs fine.

How do I set Fusion to start Windows on startup as before?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

How do I set Fusion to start Windows on startup as before?

Click the star icon on the Virtual Machine in the Virtual Machine Library window to set it to open when VMware Fusion starts.  See image below.

Open_when_VMware_Fusion_starts.png

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you woodyz for the startup tip, it works now.

Regarding my other post...

Why does vmware.vmx use so much CPU?

Would increasing Memory allocation make a difference? I have it set at 1024Mb and 1 processor core.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Philgood2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Hi people..new to Fusion so advice welcomed!

I bought fusion 3 early this year and installed it on my mac running leopard 10.6 ..all worked fine..my laptop had problems so Apple replaced it foc..the new one has Lion installed..I backed up with time machine so fusion 3.1.3 installed again.

My problem is i cannot connect to the internet using Fusion now..it connects on my Mac but not in windows..any ideas??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Regarding my other post...

Why does vmware.vmx use so much CPU?

Can't say, don't have any data to analyze.  You should look at Task Manager and see what process(es) is(are) running high as this would be the place to start.

Would increasing Memory allocation make a difference? I have it set at 1024Mb and 1 processor core.

Again, no data to analyze.  Are you running processes that require having more then that amount of memory?

As to the number of cores to assign my general rule of thumb is only assign one unless you have a quad-core processor and then only assign two if the Guest OS and applications being run can actually take advantage of Hyper-Threading Technology.  More often then not assigning more the one core will actually degrade performance on both the Guest and the Host.

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Can't say, don't have any data to analyze.  You should look at Task Manager and see what process(es) is(are) running high as this would be the place to start."

-------

vmware-vmx using 99-102.9% of CPU

Where would I see Task Manager to find out., using XP.

Thank you.

ps. seems to run faster after allocating 1536Mb memory (have 8Gb memory), still using single core (processor is dual-core).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Where would I see Task Manager to find out., using XP.

No offense intended, did you even look in Help and Support on the Windows Start Menu or even Google it?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

@philgood

I'd suggest starting here:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101646...

If you don't have any luck using the knowledgebase you can get assistance from the support team. (Check under the Help menu.)

Simon

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There was one exe that was a memory hog, deleted it.

Now only shows System Idle Process 96-98%% CPU

On Mac's Activity Monitor vmware-vmx now showing 3%-20% CPU

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There was one exe that was a memory hog, deleted it.

What was the name of the executable?  While deleting the executable is one way to deal with the issue it's not necessarily how I would have handled

it. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
sjo53
Contributor
Contributor

If this is not the correct place for this question, please let me know.

I am new to iMac and Fusion.

On the new iMac I upgraded to Lion from the url given by the seller.  I installed Fusion from the disk I also bought from them.  I thought I remembered it upgrading right away.

Last night I installed W7 OEM that I got specifically for Fusion.  After when I thought it had downloaded, a Fusion window that looked like a youtube video with an arrow in showed up with Windows 7 x 64 at the top.  None of the buttons worked - no starting, no xing out, no error messages. 

I thought I could uninstall Fusion and start over.  At some point it said I needed to update.  It said that was being downloaded, then it would suspend or shut down all vm windows.  Then the error that it couldn't be done as a kernal could not be unloaded.  It said to try to re-boot.  iMac says can't 'cuz Fusion won't let it. 

I did go back and watch the video about downloading W7 and mine did not go through all of those steps.  It just stopped.

What should I do?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mikejm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It was an application specific to a company I work with. I don't really need it. It seemed to run even if I hadn't started it.

Everything works fine now and I don't get the 100%+ CPU usage.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

OEM licenses are node-locked to the hardware that they were purchased with - you may want to read the EULA and determine if you're in violation of it.

In either case, there have been many reports of issues getting OEM versions to install and run properly.  Especially if it's something purchased/downloaded from the Internet (many of those aren't exactly legit).

0 Kudos
Boondoggle
Contributor
Contributor

You can buy Windows OEM licenses that are not locked to hardware.

--link removed--

Message was edited by: wila Removed link as using an OEM image requires the Builder to have a special OEM agreement with Microsoft, in other words, you are encouraging people to use unlicensed software which is against forum policies.

0 Kudos