VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion 3.1.3 and OS X Lion

A new blog posting covering running Fusion 3.1.3 on OS X Lion is now available:

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2011/07/os-x-lion-spotted-in-the-wild.html

Feel free to post your experiences and feedback in this thread.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
81 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I personally haven't had any issues, yet, with VMware Fusion 3.1.3 on the Developer GM however I haven't use it as extensively as my Snow Leopard build.

While I understand it's against company policy, blah, blah, blah...  Nonetheless it would be nice if at some point in time soon VMware will comment as to whether or not they intend to make a VMware Fusion 3.x version that is officially and as fully compatible as possible for use with Mac OS X Lion since not everyone, myself included, intends to upgrade to VMware Fusion 4 when it come out.  So if you'd pass that along to the powers that be for an official comment, other then the standard party line, on the subject it would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Woody,

VMware Fusion 3.1.3 works well with OS X Lion. Anyone running an earlier version should look at upgrading to 3.1.3 before they move to Lion.  Compatibility with Lion is important to us, for the obvious reasons. Anyone running VMware Fusion on one of the new Macs (Sandy Bridge Air/Mini or Thunderbolt Cinema Display) who can post their experiences?

Simon

0 Kudos
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the blog entry, but please be aware that while looking for compatiibility info relating to Fusion and OSX Lion, I found a link on your web site that took me - supposedly - to the Team Fusion blog.  The link took me here:

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/visualstudio/

I saw that the last entry was in March.  Thinking "how lame," I went to the forums and found this thread, which took me to another Team Fusion blog with today's entry and other more recent entries.  So somehow, using the links on your site only, I got to the URL above.  I hope you'll agree that's not a good thing.

I tried to do it again, but could not find the exact path back to the above URL.  I went from VMWare.Com to the Products tab, down to the VMWare Fusion entry and then somewhere after that found a link to the above.  So for reference here I pulled it up from History.

0 Kudos
saivert
Contributor
Contributor

Have you tried installing Lion in VMWare Fusion yet?

0 Kudos
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

Well, you don't really install Lion in Fusion.  You upgrade to Lion on the Mac and then Fusion runs - hopefully - in Lion.  But, no, I haven't done that and will probably wait until more people have done it and any kinks are worked out by VMWare.  I don't like to be on the bleeding edge - there's too much chance of bleeding.

0 Kudos
MM07
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason now I cannot mount my USB stick to Fusion 3.1.3 now that I upgraded to 10.7.

Is there a fix?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Before 10.7 I would get a pop up that asked where the USB should be used....Mac or Windows.

--MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009), 8g Ram, 500g HD, Fusion 3.1.3 w/ Win 7 Pro--
0 Kudos
zebity2
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Lion Users

Ok I naively assumed that I would be able to do "App Store" based Lion Server upgrade to my VMWare Fusion Based Snow Leopard Server installation...

On reboot of Lion Install I now get the following message:

I have tried rebooting my VM with both single and dual CPU settings, but I keep getting this error.

So my Snow Leopard Server is now dead and in limbo state, as it is part way through the upgrade process.

Have anyone done a successful upgrade to Lion Server via the App Store ?

Have other people experienced the same problem??

I suspect I need new patch/upgrade from VMWare to recover this VM and get Lion Server up and running.

Thanks for any advise/help.

Zebity

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you explain why Fusion 3.1.2 is still the featured version in the banner of these forums? That has been a puzzling thing for some time. My initial take was that 3.1.3 is an ugly stepchild upgrade needed only by a tortured few.

dp

0 Kudos
akutz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a mid-2011 MacBook Pro. Its specs are:

- 2.3 GHz i7 (Quad-Core)

- 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

- Thunderbolt

- Boot Drive is a 240 GB OCZ Vertex III (SATA-3 @ 6 Gigabit) SSD

- Data Drive (replaced Superdrive with MCE Optibay) is a stock Apple 500 GB SSD

I upgraded to Lion at 7:38AM CST yesterday (2011/07/20) and have had ZERO problems with the latest version of VMware Fusion. I do run it in Single Window mode as I do not like Unity. However, if Fusion were to implement the new Lion APIs for full screen mode I would likely switch to that.

I'm very pleased with both Lion and Fusion.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

@MM07 You should see the exactly the same behavior under Lion as Snow Leopard. I verified this using a Sandisk USB device on a Lion-based iMac with Fusion 3.1.3 - which worked when I tried it. Perhaps the support team can assist in your case?

Simon

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

@dp_fusion The banner was an oversight, we'll get it updated. Thanks for the note.

0 Kudos
MM07
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Simon and others for responding.

It now works.  After a restart, I'm go to go.

--MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009), 8g Ram, 500g HD, Fusion 3.1.3 w/ Win 7 Pro--
0 Kudos
dodegkr
Contributor
Contributor

It appears com ports do not work properly in fusion 3.1.3 on os x lion.

I have two usb serial ports that worked perfectly in snow leopard, neither work in lion, gutted

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It appears com ports do not work properly in fusion 3.1.3 on os x lion.

I have two usb serial ports that worked perfectly in snow leopard, neither work in lion, gutted

Have you uninstalled/reinstalled VMware Fusion and or VMware Tools?   Note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove the  Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
snpower
Contributor
Contributor

3.1.3 seems to be crawling along with heavy disk access after moving to Lion. 17" Macbook Pro (2009 model) with 8 gigs of RAM – 4 of which are dedicated to the VM (Windows 7).

0 Kudos
ngins
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I have an issue, I have verified this now with 3 total reinstalls.

MacBook Unibody Aluminium 2009 8Gb RAM

Fusion 3.1.3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (no encryption etc running)

OS X Lion Update

Latest VMware Tools Installed

- Prior to the install of OS X Lion everything works perfectly for me.  Having done the Lion Update I had to delete and re-add the Bootcamp virtual machine (running Bootcamp as a VM - not importing it) but all went fine.....I thought....

- I then noticed that although the Windows boot screen and the icons etc on the home screen look like 32 bit color but that Aero was not enabled when it had been previously. I thought no big deal, however All MS Office Apps open in 8 bit mode, but bizarrely other apps (Firefox etc) open in 32 Bit mode.

-When running the Windows diagnostic it reports Desktop Window Manager is not enabled, however the process is running and even a manual stop start doesn’t fix this part.  It also reports that the color depth is set too low to support Aero.  However going into display settings the color depth is set to True Colour 32 bit.

I have tried all combinations of activating and deactivating, manually selecting 8 but, 16 bit, 32 bit color depths and then rebooting, not rebooting, checking drivers etc.  No joy, but some apps like Firefox, safari etc work in 32 bit mode, just Windows 7 itself and all Microsoft apps seem to stay in 8 bit mode.

If this just happened when the machine was running as a VM then no problem but the issue persists when I boot Windows Natively from boot camp.  Even after removing VMware tools the issue persists.  Even after deleting and re-installing the Video drivers - still get the same errors.  I have tried it twice to ensure it is Fusion and specifically VMware tools causing this issue for me.

One other worrying side effect is that whatever VMware tools does it also disables ALL restore points for me - they all come back with a critical error or just fail to launch either from a normal boot of windows or a recovery boot from the windows CD ROM.  The ONLY way I have been able to fix this is to either do a clean Windows install OR restore from an image.  However as soon as I fire up in Fusion and Install VMware tools it kills it again.

I can’t see anyone else with these issues having been googling around the subject for the past couple of day so I guess I am just special  - I have no idea why the problem persists after an uninstalling VMware tools so if anyone has any answers then much appreciated!

Cheers

Neil

0 Kudos
Stubb
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Fusion 3.1.3 on an MBP 2.4 GHz Core i5 (mid 2010) with 8 GB of RAM and noticed two problems after rebooting into Lion:

1. VMware didn't detect the plugging in of USB stick and ask whether I wanted to connect it to my Mac or Linux VM. Hence, there was no way to mount the stick in Linux. Attempting to connect it through the USB icon on the bottom of the VM window wasn't successful.

2. DHCP fails under bridged networking. That is, when I set networking to "bridged", the Linux VM does not get an address from the DHCP server on my network. Changing the networking to "NAT" gets me an address via DHCP, and I can also manually enter an IP address and connect to external hosts.

Re-installing Fusion and rebooting solved 1 but not 2.

Oddly, my Windows 2003 Server VM works fine with bridged networking. It's only my Linux VMs that can't get a connection.

If anyone has DHCP working with bridged networking in Linux VM, then I'd love to hear how they did it.

—Andreas

0 Kudos
zebity2
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Fusion Users,

to clarify.

I am running VMWare Fusion 3.1.3 on OS X Lion and OS X Lion Server without problems.

The only issues I have had is with the Network interface not working intially. However I have had the same problem under Snow Leopard.

The solution is to simply close all your VMs, disconnect the virtual LAN connection, stop and restart fusion and then reconnect the virtual LAN interface (using the "Settings" function for the particular VM).

My problem is with running with hosting of "OS X Lion Server" within VMWare Fusion.

I have a number of "OS X Snow Leopard Server" virtual machines that I run within VMWare Fusion.

As part of the process of upgrading to Lion, I did an "in situ" upgrade on a "OS X Snow Leopard Server" VM and this now crashes the VM when it reboots with a message saying that the "virtual machines is trying to disable a CPU".

The result is that the VM can no longer be started....

So this is not a VMWare on Lion issues but an Lion virtual hosting issue.

Are there people out there who have got OS X Lion running within a Fusion Virtual Machine?

Note in all my cases I have legal OS X Server licenses.

Cheers,

Zebity

0 Kudos
dodegkr
Contributor
Contributor

This worked.

thanks

0 Kudos