VMware Communities
jeepish
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 3.1.3 + Win7 install = No Bootable Device Found

Okay, so I've browsed back to all the prior discussions on this topic, tried all the suggested solutions and I still cannot get VMWare Fusion to install Windows 7. Every time I get the No Bootable Device Found error.

Here's the details:

• iMac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HD (one partition, no Boot Camp)
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8, all software updates current
  • VMWare Fusion 3.1.3
  • Window 7 Professional

I'm trying to install Win7 32-bit. I *have* successfully installed Win7 on this machine previously. I have also installed two OpenSUSE VMs. Those three VMs still work just fine.

What I've tried:

• Using the Win7 DVD
  • Made a .cdr of the installer and did the "Continue without disc" install option
  • Changed the .cdr extension to .iso to see if that would work
  • Made a hybrid dmg/iso with Disk Utility and tried to use that image
  • Booted off the Win7 DVD on another computer to verify that it is actually bootable
  • Burned a new DVD from the .cdr to see if the disk may have been bad. New DVD didn't work, either
  • I'm not able to boot into the BIOS setup, since on this machine it goes by in a millisecond, and I can't see it (literally)
  • I've tried with and without using the Easy install option (with Admin account and Win product key)

This is exactly what I see on screen (after it tries the DHCP lookup):

Network boot from Intel E1000
Copyright (C) 2003-2008 VMware, Inc.
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
CLIENT MAC ADDR: [the MAC address]  GUID: [the GUID]
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating System not found

At this point, I'm stumped. Any tips?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jeepish
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: I was able to get into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM drive to be the primary boot device, but it appears to jump straight to attempting a network boot.

0 Kudos