I am running VMware Fusion 3.1.2 on OS X 10.6.7. On a Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit Guest the vmwareuser.exe will take the CPU to 100%. This seems to be caused by copy/paste or from Unity. It looks like several people have had this issue in the past, but I do not see a solution anyplace.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
I put 8 gigs in my Macbook Pro and it just does not do well. I have the same issue as you. I've tried 1,2,4 processors. I've tried 512 to 4GB. Sad but pretty much given up and try to run Fusion on my Mac Pro instead. Sorry...Didn't give you an answer just saying, I feel your pain.
I am having the same problem. It seems to me that it has only started since I upgraded to 3.1.3.
It is so bad that it renders my iMac almost unusable for long periods while it hogs the CPU.
Windows 7 Ultimate Version 6.1 (Bulid 7600)
Mac OSX 10.6.7.....VMWare Fusion: Version 3.1.3 (416484)
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.....4Gb 800Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
In this situation there are likely one or more high-usage processing running In Microsoft Windows which are probably translating into high system usage in OS X. Honestly, every time I have personally seen this happen it has been because an antivirus program is stuck and continually retrying to open a file or resource to exam that it cannot such as a file on a shared drive. AV could also be having a problem with the clipboard in Unity as described in the message below. Another comon culprit is a database program like SQL Server and not having the directory for the database files excluded from the AV program. SQL Server is one example of a program that issues an exclusive lock on a file so the AV gets stuck on it. However, the AV program doing a full scan correctly can also make high CPU usage happen, and the problem will go away once the scan is complete.
To isolate which program in Windows is the problem, open the Task Manager, click on the Process tab and click the button to Show processes from all users, and then on the CPU column to show which processes are using the most. Note here that the Applications tab does not show all the processes running on the system, the Processes tab does. If you have Unity enabled as the view, you can get to the Task Manager from the Control Panel or by clicking on Run and entering taskmgr as the program to run. Normally the System Idle Process should have 90-something percent of the CPU.
Just FYI, and it doesn't show up in the task manager, vmware and Windows do not manage the video adapters on some of the Mac's as well as OS X. For example, on my late-model Mac Air OS X can get as much as 6 hours out of the battery, but if you bring up vmware the run time drops to half. From other posts that I read this seems to be because the video adapter comes up to full power under vmware.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Reviewing your suggestions still leaves me thinking that it is none of the potential issues you suggest.
I have reduced the number of startup programs to a minium and when monitoring the processes it is only the vmwareuser.exe process that is hogging with explorer.exe coming in at 2% occasionally.
I do have shared folders but have had the same ones since this was set up over 2 years ago. No Server on my machine. My Antivirus hasn't changed either. No changes have been made to my hardware.
I said in my post that it has happened since the recent update to 3.1.3 but I forgot that Windows has also recently updated.
99% of the time my MAC runs both Windows and OS X perfectly. I have not been able to tie down what, if anything, I have done to cause this situation to occur.
As it is erratic, I will have to wait until the next time to do further investigation.
What reduced the CPU load for me was uninstalling VMware tools.
This does not seem like an ideal solution, but the vmwareuser process was taking up 99% CPU and only seems to have affected performance since I installed VMWare tools last week.
I am actually running VMware 3.1.3 and this issue was still present.
Before installing the tools I was running fine with 1 CPU allocated and 2GB ram (I have a macbook pro 2011 model, 8gb ram and 256 SSD Drive)
I will look for a better solution (I still want drag and drop between mac and PC) but this solved my problem today.
Strangely. I find that the issue is specific to 3.1.3 only
I take a VM built in 3.1.2 and it works perfectly under 3.1.2. I upgrade to 3.1.3 and I start getting all sorts of erractic behaviour when running the same VM. High processor utilization. Fan going nuts
I downgrade to 3.1.2 and the VM runs perfectly again.