VMware Communities
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 3.1.0 slow to even start

I'm not sure when this started, but it is incredibly annoying. I have two Macs that this happens in. One is a Mac Pro with 8 GB RAM and running OS X 10.6.4. I click on the VMware icon in the menu bar and it immediately drops down with my primary VM showing, but can take anywhere from 30-60 seconds to allow me to access the Start Up menu item. I am sometimes able to shorten this somewhat by selecting another VM and then another and then go back to the one I want and it will allow me to click on Start Up. I have an iMac at home with 4 GB RAM and I experience the same thing. Running the same version of Fusion and OS X.

I've even tried starting the VMWare Fusion app from Spotlight and it starts immediately, but then shows a not responding for about as long as the other way before popping up the VM. I even tried completely removing Fusion from the Mac Pro and reinstalling, but this really didn't make any difference.

It's enough to move me back to Parallels.

Thoughts?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are using VMware Fusion 3.0.1, you should first and foremost upgrade to VMware Fusion 3.1. That makes a huge performance difference.

If you still have issues, file a support request to get help from tech support.

Pat

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If it's an old XP VM created in Version 2, you should also either align the partition or re-create it using Easy Install in Fusion 3.

I just reverted 10.6.4 back to .3 because of performance and stability issues with OSX. Did you have these issues under .3?

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry... had a fat finger experience. It's 3.1.0, not 3.0.1.

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

yes, in both instances the VM is one that was created under 2.x. I'll look into the suggestions for Easy INstall or realigning the partition.

yes, I did have this issue under 10.6.3. 10.6.4 has been fairly stable for me.

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a pointer do documentation on how to realign the partition, what the offset should be, and/or how to use Easy install to recreate my VM?

Thanx...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's a long thread (don't have the link, but a search should find it) on realigning. It's not all that difficult, but make sure you have a backup first.

To create a new VM, just do a 'file new' from the menu and follow the prompts. However, you will need to reinstall all your windows software,etc just like on a physical machine.

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx... I'll look for it.

However, since my problem is before the VM even starts up, I woulnd't think that realigning the partition would affect that. I'm just trying to get the Fusion menu bar app to show me the VM's start up menu item so that I can start the VM. Once in the VM I do notice some slowness that realigning might fix, but ot sure that would help solve the initial problem.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Actually it may be - the partition alignment impacts how much RAM VMWare and the OS use for disk buffering. How fast is your hard disk?

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure about the iMac at home; it's what ever standard drive came with the iMac when I bought it about 2 years ago. The Mac Pro at work's drive is 7200 RPM I think;with a 32 MB cache.

The question about alignment almost seems moot since the slowness I am seeing is before I even fire up the VM. It's just getting the Fusion menu applet to show me the VM's start up item. But, not sure what is happening as it's reading the settings.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Oh, so you're running fusion, but not starting a VM, and that's slow?

Very odd. Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Fusion?

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I click on the Fusion icon in the menu bar on my Mac and I select the VM that I want to start. It can take up to 60 seconds for that drop down screen to display the start up menu item that's not greyed out. The VM itself may have a speed issue that realigning the partition could possibly help, but at the point I am discussing here, I've not even started up the VM.

I see the exact same thing on both my iMac and my Mac Pro. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion on the Pro and the problem still remains. I have gotten around it by entering in "vmware" in Spotlight and selecting vmware fusion so that the main app actually fires up and since the VM that I want is the default it almost immediately displays the black VM window with the start triangle and I can click on it and it starts.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What if you launch the fusion app first, and then lauch the VM from the library window?

I suspect you're just seeing the overhead of loading the library when fusion is starrting, and if you launch a VM at the same time, you're going to have disk contention.

0 Kudos
kwreese
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue as the original poster. 45 seconds from clicking the fusion icon to bringing up the library. At this point in the process, I have not even selected a VM to fire up. This began with the 3.1 upgrade. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and it makes no difference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have the same issue as the original poster. 45 seconds from clicking the fusion icon to bringing up the library.

I think you have a different issue. My understanding is that jhyiesla is talking about the Fusion start menulet in the menu bar, whereas you're talking about Fusion's Virtual Machine Library window. Two potentially very different things.

Some things to check in your case are to look at Fusion's UI log (/Users/$USER/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-vmfusion.log) and to see if you see the delay when opening a virtual machine directly.

jhyiesla: Sorry I can't directly help you (I'm not familiar with that part of the code), but I've forwarded this thread to people who are. The only thing I can think of to check is if you see the same delay when using Fusion's Virtual Machine Library (not to run it, just to see it populated).

0 Kudos
kwreese
Contributor
Contributor

Etung, I think you misunderstood my comment. I click the Fusion icon in my dockbar. It bounces and bounces and bounces for 45 seconds before the app fully opens (shows the library). This started after the last upgrade.

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you are correct, I am talking about the start menu item that's in the OS X menu bar. Getting it to a point where I can actually start the VM takes a very long time. If I fire up the VMware Fusion app either from Spotlight or from Finder it pops immediately, I can see the VMs and click on any of them and starting a VM is a very quick process.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

kwreese: What else is running on the machine, particularly using the disk, when you launch fusion? Have you repaired permissions and verified the disk?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Can't help there, I have that disabled (don't want things sucking CPU that don't need to be). I'm surprised that it's a different launch path - sounds like a bug.

0 Kudos
jhyiesla
Contributor
Contributor

At the time I am firing up the startup applet, there isn't too much running on my Mac beyond the regular system startup. Mail and iChat are probably the two main apps running. No, I've not done anything to do with perminssions of the disk verify, but I doubt that's it since the same thing happens on two different Macs with totally different configs except for the OS X level that I'm running.

Since everything seems to fire up correctly when I just start the Fusion app, I'm going to do that and not fool with the statup applet anymore.

0 Kudos