VMware Communities
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 3.0.1 Update -won't update

Hi, while agreeing to the update request from F3.0 .0 to 3.0.1 it appears to download then the Fusion icon disappears from dock, comes back and notifies of the update again. The update will not update, just seems to go in a circle and I still have 3.0.0. Any ideas as to why it won't update. Never had this happen before upgrading to 3.0

Thanks for any input or corrections.

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Under the circumstances I would go directly to the 3.0.1 DMG File available from the link previously provided and then completely uninstall Fusion 3.0.0 and then install Fusion 3.0.1.

Again noting that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not delete existing Virtual Machines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You never had it happened before upgrading to Fusion 3.0 because previous versions of Fusion were not capable of dynamic updates.

If for some reason the dynamic update capability of Fusion 3 is not working properly then I would suggest that you download the full install package from VMware's web site and then uninstall/reinstall using the downloaded .dmg. Note that this does not remove any existing Virtual Machines.

Click here to separately download VMware Fusion 3.0.1.

bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Woody,

Thanks for the response. I still have the Fusion 3.0 light,dmg on file would you recommend using that after uninstalling or go with your link to 3.0.1 ?

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Under the circumstances I would go directly to the 3.0.1 DMG File available from the link previously provided and then completely uninstall Fusion 3.0.0 and then install Fusion 3.0.1.

Again noting that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not delete existing Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again WoodZ, worked like a charm. Hope I don't have to do this every time there is an update though.

Bgoodz

0 Kudos
ajcurtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI: Fusion 3.0.1 installation from the DMG will fail if you do not uninstall first. The failed installation will also break your working 3.0 installation! The network drivers will fail until you reinstall the old version.

Actually I have not successfully installed the 3.0.1 update as of yet. Everything that I tried failed. I have not tried uninstalling first.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FYI: Fusion 3.0.1 installation from the DMG will fail if you do not uninstall first.

I personally have not tried installing from DMG because I have 3.0.1 on a CD ISO Image however I, as a general rule, always run the uninstaller from either the current install or the uninstaller from the installation source before installing the current version or just reinstalling in general.

The failed installation will also break your working 3.0 installation! The network drivers will fail until you reinstall the old version.

Since only one version of VMware Fusion can be installed at a time and that when running the installer if Fusion is already installed it first uninstalls it and then installs the current version then technically it's not breaking the previous version but failing to properly uninstall the existing install and install the current version. Any time an install fails one should run the uninstaller or manually remove Fusion before reinstalling. BTW manually uninstalling is not just deleting the VMware Fusion.app from the Applications folder as that is not the only thing that gets installed. You can search the KB or Forum for complete manual uninstall information if need be.

Actually I have not successfully installed the 3.0.1 update as of yet. Everything that I tried failed. I have not tried uninstalling first.

Well it stands to reason and should go without having to say but I'll say it anyway... Uninstall the previous version separately using the uninstaller and then install the current version and I always reboot after the install before running Fusion even if not prompted.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Updates will fail if for some reason the OS X install database is wiped, for example if you migrate from another Mac or upgrade to Snow Leopard (we recommend reinstalling Fusion when doing something like this to avoid these problems). Do either of these scenarios apply to you?

0 Kudos
ajcurtis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have recently upgraded to Snow Leopard but this isn't the problem. Fusion 3.0 installed just fine after the OS upgrade. (In fact it worked without doing a manual uninstall)

Upgrading Fusion 3.0 to 3.0.1 has been a problem.

1. If I try to upgrade automatically when informed of the new version, it eventually fails with an unable to contact upgrade server message.

2. When I downloaded the 3.0.1 DMG and tried to install, it failed.

Based on the feedback received, it looks like I should try uninstalling 3.0 and then installing 3.0.1 from the DMG. However based on other postings regarding performance and shared folder issues, perhaps I should wait for the next upgrade. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on the feedback received, it looks like I should try uninstalling 3.0 and then installing 3.0.1 from the DMG.

Yes that is what I would do and why are you even hesitating or waiting as this only takes a few minutes and has no ill effect and if 3.01 is problematic after the install then just uninstall it and reinstall 3.0.0.

However based on other postings regarding performance and shared folder issues, perhaps I should wait for the next upgrade. Smiley Happy

While there are issues for some with 3.0.1 the number of negative postings with 3.01 are nothing compared to what is posted with 3.0.0.

The bottom line is just do it and be done with it and if it's not working better then 3.0.0 was then just uninstall 3.0.1 and reinstall 3.0.0.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. If I try to upgrade automatically when informed of the new version, it eventually fails with an unable to contact upgrade server message.

I assume you do actually have internet connectivity when you're trying to update. Post vmware-vmfusion.log from a failed attempt? Are you behind a proxy or other strange networking setup?

2. When I downloaded the 3.0.1 DMG and tried to install, it failed.

Does /var/log/install.log say anything interesting?

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the original posting and after reading your post that might have been the problem. I recently migrated everything from a iMac24 to a new iMac27 and got the merry go round upgrade message for 3.0.1 which would not install. With the help of Woody I downloaded the 3.0.1 DMG, uninstalled 3.0.0 and installed 3.0.1 and everything now seems to be running fine. I'm running two VM's...XP and Win7.

The way I uninstalled 3.0 was to drag the app to the can or right click and select send to trash (can't remember which now) as that was the only way I knew at the time to uninstall. Now I read there is more to it ? and a different method. Uh Oh.........however the VM's seem to be ok so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help you guys, I really appreciate it.

Bgoodz

0 Kudos