VMware Communities
DaBegal
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2 upgrade installation problem

Immediately following installation of the Fusion 2 upgrade when I tried to start my XP Pro virtual machine, windows reported "found new hardware" identified as "BASIC SYSTEM DEVICE" Then the windows found new hardware genie started hunting for the appropriate drivers etc and I could not CANCEL the operation or go BACK - the virtual machine appeared locked in an endless loop. Even when I tried to SHUT DOWN windows, the virtual machine would not respond.

Also, the Fusion 2 virtual machine displays VMWare Tools out of date, but when I try to install VMWare tools from the menu, the installation hangs up and will not complete.

I can skip the found new hardware operation and run XP, but it would be helpful if anyone knows a solution to the "basic system device" installation and/or how to get the VMWare tools installation to finish.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Installing VMware Tools handle the new hardware that is found that requires drivers form VMware and Base System Device is handled by VMware Tools install.

Did you follow the Upgrade Guide? It say something to the effect to cancel and new hardware found dialog boxes and allow VMware Tools to install and if it doesn't happen automatically then do it manually.

0 Kudos
DaBegal
Contributor
Contributor

After shutting down my MAC, I did cancel and bypass the found new

hardware wizard. But the VMWare tools installation still would not

complete. Still trying, thanx.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

But the VMWare tools installation still would not complete.

FWIW Just saying something as generic as "But the VMWare tools installation still would not complete" isn't really much information being passed to try and troubleshoot your issue with so have a look at and try provide more details.

0 Kudos