VMware Communities
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 2.05 Mouse problems with Snow!!

While everything seesm to be working OK there is ONE problem I find consistently:

when the VM looses focus after I work on other apps (for more than a few secs) and then I click on the VM dock icon to focus the VM the cursor does NOT get captured as it used to be. I have to move the mouse for a few secs all over the screen until it gets captured.

This is most annoying!

0 Kudos
56 Replies
fherbert
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Running vmware fusion 2.0.5 (173382). I also have spaces configured with two monitors. When moving my mouse across to Vmware, it takes a bit of moving the mouse back and forward, and sometimes having to press keys on the keyboard before the vmware window becomes 'active'.

This has only started happening after installing 10.6.

0 Kudos
peter0102
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen the same thing. Only way to 'fix' it is to click Control-Command to get control back to OS X and then select the Fusion window again. Started after I installed Snow Leopard. (Might happen only after the machine has gone to sleep one, and woken up again)

0 Kudos
cchiang12
Contributor
Contributor

I've also experienced the same problem after upgrade to snow leopard with fusion version 2.05.

I found another link:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/227086

This person removed the fusion and reinstalled it, and seems to work that way.

I haven't tried it yet... was hoping there was another way.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Virtual Machines and Fusion itself are 2 seperate things, so reinstalling Fusion won't affect the VM's themselves.

edit: ... which means it's perfectly safe to reinstall Fusion Smiley Wink

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
peter0102
Contributor
Contributor

I did uninstall and reinstall fusion, didn't help. Seemed to work right after install, but at least once the screensaver had kicked in, it was back.

0 Kudos
bwhale3
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstall/Reinstall of 2.05 fixed it for me. Thanks.

Edit: Wow, did I speak too soon. It appeared to fix it for several hours, but as soon as I typed this it occurred again. I have to switch to a different app and switch back before the VM regains focus.

0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uninstalled, reinstalled. No change, the bug is still here and is MOST annoying!

0 Kudos
squirrelking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Add me to that list too.. very annoying but hopefully a patch/upgrade will fix it soon.

VMware VAC - Premier

http://LewanPS.wordpress.com

---- VCP3 VCP4 VTSP VSP VMware Solution Provider Premier Partner VMware Authorized Consultant [http://blog.lewan.com]
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What guest OS are people using? Anyone having this issue in a guest other than XP?

0 Kudos
peter0102
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using Windows XP and having the problem. Don't have any other Guest OSes to try.

0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using XP only.

0 Kudos
LanceFu
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I have this mouse problem too. My guest OS is Windows 7 Professional.

Hope it gets fixed soon. It's quite annoying.

0 Kudos
gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem:

Snow Leopard

Guest OS is Windows XP

Using spaces

Used to be fine with 10.5.x

0 Kudos
Chandy2009
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I use Command-Tab in MAC to switch the application and mouse reappears. Then I have to click on Guest OS (XP Home) to use with the Guest OS

0 Kudos
Grangin
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Client is Windows XP. It's very annoying when switching between testing something on a local browser and then moving back to the VM session.

The behavior is a bit odd, it seems to be linked to a timeout because after some time of not giving focus to Fusion, if I use Command Tab to switch back to fusion from firefox, it's as though my mouse cursor has stopped existing. Control + Command brings it back and if I click on the Fusion session the mouse comes back.

Same thing happens with mouse clicks.

0 Kudos
bwhale3
Contributor
Contributor

I've confirmed the problem with both XP and Ubuntu 9.04 guests.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

For anyone experiencing this issue, I'd be interested in seeing what your logs have to say.

For those who can, please post the output of 'Help > Collect support Information'.

We're tracking this internally as PR: 465123, so the more logs we have, the more easily we can isolate this issue.

I'll post something here once we hear back from the development team.

Thanks everyone 😃

-
0 Kudos
manfredell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Done. Now where and how should I post this?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You should be able to attach the .tgz here to a reply.

Let me know if it gives you greif trying to do that...

-
0 Kudos