VMware Communities
MarkHenderson
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.04 hangs, corrupts VM, brings down Activity Monitor and requires reboot

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu Server 64-bit under VMWare Fusion 2.04 and after reverting to snapshot 4 or 5 times in a session, VMWare hangs and also puts Activity Monitor in a hung state. Neither can be "force quit" and the only solution it to reboot. This has happened to me twice today (about to reboot) and the first time it let to corruption of the VM.

OS X 10.5.7

VMWare Fusion 2.04

Macbook 4Gb Ram

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like you're hitting a deadlock - even if Fusion messes up, it should not affect Activity Monitor (unless it's our kernel extensions, but I don't think they're involved when suspending/reverting). Is there anything unusual about where you're keeping the virtual machine (e.g. on a network share, on an encrypted filesystem, on a sparse disk image)? Did this previously work (and if so, can you think of any recent changes)?

0 Kudos
MarkHenderson
Contributor
Contributor

I've only starting using snapshots in earnest in the last few days and the only recent change is an upgrade to 10.5.7 when it came out.

I've just rebooted my machine (had to force a power-off as the regular reboot process could not kill Fusion - same thing on the first crash). The Macbook is back up and my image is CORRUPT again.

BOTH times this has happened, it has brought down Activity Monitor with it (which I normally leave running). This is definitely related.

I'm using my regular internal drive. No encryption.

I have a single snapshot and rolling back works 4 or 5 times then hangs. I notice that on some of those "successful" rollbacks, the machine does FREEZE (exception for the mouse) completely for a period. Hope this helps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MarkHenderson
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare just crashed (note, it didn't hang) while trying to reinstall from my Unbuntu iso, immediately after selecting english and getting the screen where Ubuntu asks if I'd like to install.

Crash report attached.

0 Kudos
claud9999
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I'm seeing the same behavior (and I have a similar config http://2.0.4, OSX 10.5.7, 4GB RAM, but my guest is WinSrv'03, not Ubuntu,so it's not your guest OS.)

0 Kudos
clindloff
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, macbook unibody, 10.5.7, fusion 2.04, 4gig of RAM. I am getting total system hangs, while in full screen, usually dual screen full screen, at least once a day. This is in XP. At first I thought it was related to streaming video in a web browser, but I have recently had it doing normal work, while in outlook etc. I have done things like turning off dual full screen, turning off DX9 video, turning off sharing. Turning off sharing with the host seems to make it happen less. I am in this VM all day while at work for the most part when supporting the Windows side of the house and ESX support. (How I dream of a OS X vSphere client)

Two days ago I removed Fusion and installed Parallels 4.0 thinking it might be a hardware issue and Parallels would show the same behavior. However I am rock solid in Parallels, minus the dual full screen:(

I am huge VMware fan at the corporate level and a long time user of Workstation, Server, and ESX, but fusion has bugs I have never experienced in the other offerings from VMware. As a recently converted OS X fan ( late 2007) I am dont plan on going back to Windows anytime soon, if ever as host that gets to control hardware.

Please fix these bugs! Until then I am a Parallels user.

0 Kudos