VMware Communities
lmeece
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.02 with XP Pro crashed- need help recovering or retreiving files

My XP Pro was hit with a rogue program "MS AntiSpyware 2009". I could not install or open MalwareBytes removal program. I installed SpyWare Doctor with AntiVirus and after it updated and went to reboot my system crashed. I had to reboot my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.5. After reboot and opening up fusion, I cannot open XP. It goes to the screen loading windows with the progress bar that hangs up. I took a snapshot of this state and then rolled back to an image from last week. I really need to recover my crashed image or at least recover my files from the crashed image. If there is any way someone can help, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if I haven't included enough information, but let me know what you need and I'll provide the information. Thanks, in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vvegas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With most spyware programs I have come across on users' PCs, you have to turn off system restore, boot into windows safe mode or safe mode with networking and run a spyware removal application from there. Do a Google search for MS Antispyware and you'll find a number of articles and recommended apps to get rid of it.

These spyware apps are getting more sophisticated and can self-replicate if all the files and registry keys aren't removed properly.

If you aren't comfortable going into safe mode and possibly having to dig into the registry, I would recommend finding an apporpriate professional to help you.

I don't think your problems are with fusion.

0 Kudos