VMware Communities
PeteTh
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0 converted Vaio using converter, VM Tools hangs, resolution won't allow any navigation

I converted my Sony VAIO Windows XP Professional to VM using Converter tool, however if I log into o/s then try to install VM tools the installation doesn't start, so I read that you can navigate to the drive to start this manually, but I cannot get to the drive as the screen resolution is totally wrong - all I see is the middle part of my desktop, if I make window larger it just magnifies. Also right clicking the desktop does nothing (I've tried Ctrl-Esc to bring up windows Start menu but no response.

I also get the Windows Activation question, but I understand this will go away if I can install the VMWare Tools

At the moment I'm totally stuck - any help at all would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Something that'll probably work but may be the hard way is to enable Fusion's built-in VNC server (see ). Connecting with a standard VNC client should get you the full desktop.

0 Kudos
PeteTh
Contributor
Contributor

Really struggling now - spent many hours trying to get the converted XP running to no avail. So frustrating everything is there but desktop is wrong size and doesn't respond, tools don't install.

• I had no luck after enabling VNC Server, tried connecting via 'Screen Sharing' app using vnc://localhost:5901 but never connected.

I added

RemoteDisplay.vnc.enabled = "TRUE"

RemoteDisplay.vnc.port = "5901"

to .vmx file

• I thought I had cracked it by booting XP Professional in Safe Mode, I was then able to use Windows so could then kick off the install of VMWare Tools which would hopefully solve the wrong size / non-responding desktop - however the install quitted with

install of VM Tools fails with "policies prevent this installation"

So I googled around for this and found various theories to fix, changing values in registry, also tried

Click Start -> Control Panel

1. Open Administrative Tools

2. Open Local Security Settings

3. Click Software Restriction Policies

1. If
      no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software
      Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy

4. Double click Enforcement

5. Select "All users except local administrators"

6. Click OK

7. Reboot the machine

etc, etc, All to no avail.

I am logged in as an administrator in SAFE mode, but now wonder if VMWare Tools cannot be installed in SAFE mode.

I then tried downgrading the Virtual Machine, uninstalling Fusion 2.0 and installing Fusion 1.3 , but still get exactly the same issues (I did not re-convert the windows PC - just downgraded)

I really need to have this running by the weekend, last resot might be to switch to Parallels - but hopefully someone can assist me with Fusion, this would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

• I had no luck after enabling VNC Server, tried connecting via 'Screen Sharing' app using vnc://localhost:5901 but never connected.

I added

RemoteDisplay.vnc.enabled = "TRUE"

RemoteDisplay.vnc.port = "5901"

to .vmx file

Was this while the virtual machine was powered off and Fusion wasn't running? Have you tried a different VNC client such as Chicken of the VNC?

0 Kudos
PeteTh
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I tried Chicken of the VNC and managed to connect using localhost:5901

but unfortunately I just see the same tiny section of the middle of my windows desktop, and the mouse turns to a dot, the windows activation alert pops up, I cannot click anywhere with mouse, but I can send 'y' or 'n' access key to dialog using keyboard. I tried CTRL-ESC to bring up Start Menu (to go to CD drive to install tools) but no response, I then tried Chicken's 'Connection->Specil Keys-> and tried Cmd Opt Esc and Ctrl Alt Del and Execute but didn't respond to any ! VM ware window was still working in parallel but obviously with all the limitations explained.

Any further suggestions much appreciated.

Incidently, yesterday I also tried adding

svga.autodetect = "FALSE"

svga.maxWidth = "1280"

svga.maxHeight = "960"

with different settings TRUE and FALSE to no avail - no idea whether this was a good idea or not.

thanks.

0 Kudos
PeteTh
Contributor
Contributor

I also just tried using VMWare Converter again, but setting the Control Panel Display Settings to a lower res 800x600 beforehand, as I wondered if this is something to do with the Sony Vaio screen resolution - but unfortunately exactly the same results.

Hope someone has some further ideas to fix ? anythings else I need to change on the Vaio before running converter ?

thanks

0 Kudos
PeteTh
Contributor
Contributor

Any more ideas from anyone ? I never did get this converted VM working.

I even tried using the rival product Parallels Transporter to convert with a view to then converting parallels to fusion VM, but parallels gave same unusable desktop

0 Kudos