VMware Communities
srjaynes
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0 can't find my BootCamp drive after HD replacement.

I replaced my HD in my MacBook Pro 2.33GHz. Fresh OS-X Leopard and migration of data and apps from my old HD. Now, Fusion does NOT unmount my BootCamp drive at launch and claims NO OS found.

The BootCamp virtual machine is the only machine in my VM machine list.

My new BootCamp partition has a fresh XP Profession install and is running fine when booted as BootCamp.

I've deleted all Fusion preferences and that didn't help.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When Fusion isn't running, delete the Boot Camp virtual machine metadata, /Users/{$USER}/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/. In a normal Boot Camp virtual machine setup, all your data is on the Boot Camp partition, and is safe. Don't do this if you've added additional drives to the Boot Camp virtual machine (this is not common or recommended, but I'm mentioning it for completeness).

The next time you run Fusion, your Boot Camp partition should be redetected.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Note: These steps assume you have a Apple Default install of Windows and a Default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first.

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is without editing it, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta data. Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the p in Camp. Smiley Happy

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion.app) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then click the Run button.

Notes: Next, an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next, one should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools may want to or will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
srjaynes
Contributor
Contributor

Did that. No help.

Solved by de-installing all VMware Fusion components. Renaming Boot Camp

partition to "Boot Camp".

Solved problem.

I'll post the results later.

Steve Jaynes

0 Kudos
srjaynes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Woody. I saved your instructions.

Just prior to receiving your email, and out of desperation, I de-installed

EVERYTHING, deleting all Library entries, preferences, etc.. Renamed my

Boot Camp partition to "Boot Camp". (was "Boot Camp"). Reinstalled the

latest 2.0 build (same build I'd been using before the new HD installation).

Everything works fine now.

Steve J.

0 Kudos
kimhein
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that fix worked for me!

0 Kudos