VMware Communities
sieb
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0 Does Not Grab Mouse Input

I just upgraded to 2.0 and upgraded my bootcamp install of XP along with updating the Tools, and it boots up fine, but it does not grab my mouse input, only the keyboard. I removed the tools, restarted, installed the latest tools, and it still does not work. Telling it to Grab Input does not help either.

0 Kudos
60 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It seems to recognize the mouse but the mouse pointer displayed is not calibrated with the VMWare image. In other words on my Fedora 9 VMware image when I click one place another place actually receives the click. It makes it unusable.

That's a completely different problem, and is a Fedora bug. See .

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have parallel installed, am running on a mac pro using the standard wireless keyboard (working fine) and 3 button mighty mouse (moves around the screen but does not click).

I think that I've got the file you want - let me know if not!

Thanks

Miles

PS Before upgrading I couldn't get click - shift/click to work to select a range of items.

Edited: doesn't seem to have kept the attached files and I can only locate the vmware.log file - where do I have to go hunting for the other one (tech numpty)!

edit 2 - Ok how do I attach a retched file? I click on Chose file at the bottom of this window, navigate to the file, click on it, click on chose file, dialoug closes and there is text "no file selected" by the chose button but the rvmware.log is shown above it. Update and bingo it goes away ! help!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sometimes the forum software doesn't seem to like attachments. Try zipping it or using a different browser.

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

good call - thanks for that. Now where on earth do I find the other file which is needed?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
manakas
Contributor
Contributor

I received a beta build from vmware staff along with a note to add the following line in .vmx file:

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

This option fixed the mouse issue for me. Read my previous notes on the issue. This option works in the stable 2.xx release. Hope this helps other posters having the issue.

PS: To the parent poster, I have less than 2 gb allocated to vm.

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

OK - stupid day question! How do I add a line to the .vmx file? (in easy to understand monosyllabic words please!) Smiley Happy

Thanks

Miles

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How do I add a line to the .vmx file?

Have you read ?

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

well I tried copying that string into the file as suggested - into the first section of the file when opened in the standard text editor - however it does not seem to be trapping any mouse clicks.

Did I copy it into the wrong place? Is there anything else which I can do?* Smiley Happy

Thanks

Miles

• I don't think I've got the "right stuff" ( "I've tried A! I've tried B! I've tried C! I've tried D! Tell me what else I can try!")

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

well I tried copying that string into the file as suggested - into the first section of the file when opened in the standard text editor - however it does not seem to be trapping any mouse clicks.

Did you save the file? Smiley Happy

Did I copy it into the wrong place?

Without seeing the file there's no way to say for sure. However, order doesn't matter, so as long as Fusion isn't complaining about the file, you probably didn't do anything wrong.

However, it's not clear if you have a problem for which disabling the USB mouse would help (e.g. if you have a normal virtual machine and are not running the referenced private build). I believe the build in should have the mouse fix for normal virtual machines.

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

yep - I did save the file (I also saved the original as .old).

I am running the normal mighty mouse (4 button) which is bluetooth (I believe) - I don't know if this is the USB mouse that you describe...

Would the bug hunt (slow boot) have the same features as the Version 2.0 (116369) given that I don't think that I've got a slow boot machine?

Many thanks for your help and not least patience with a technical numpty Smiley Happy

Miles

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am running the normal mighty mouse (4 button) which is bluetooth (I believe) - I don't know if this is the USB mouse that you describe...

I was referring to the virtual USB mouse, which is not related to the physical mouse you use.

Would the bug hunt (slow boot) have the same features as the Version 2.0 (116369) given that I don't think that I've got a slow boot machine?

Yes. As noted in the post I linked to, that build is a more up-to-date version of 2.0 and contains a bunch of fixes, but I would only recommend it for people with showstopper issues like a complete lack of mouse or horrible performance.

0 Kudos
ThierryL
Contributor
Contributor

I'm on Mac OS X 10.4.11 and have VMware Fusion 1.1.3. I just hit this Mouse issue after several months of using my guest VM, a Win 32 XP. I changed the guest VM RAM from 1GB to 2GB and everything seems to work fine. I'm not sure if shutting down the vm completely and then powering it on was the fix. Keyboard and mouse seem to be working now.

0 Kudos
TomHartt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for these posts. This problem started for me yesterday. When I start VM and click into it, "hand pointer" goes away. "arrow pointer" seems to disappear, but actually is working when I move out to OSX areas of display. When I click into Fusion window, "arrow pointer" stays only at edges of window, and mouse cannot be used.

Precidpating event was installing Kensington Mouseworks 6.2.2 for XP. I also installed Kensington Mouseworks for OSX. Mouse works in OSX. Mouse works in Boot Camp. Mouse fails in Fusion, as does trackpad, so Fusion is now unusable.

Placing the line, mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE", into my .vmx file, has had no effect.

FWIW, I set up Kensington mouseworks prefs for left-handed operation.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Steve_Kiar
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded and installed UNTESTED Version 2.0.1 (125077) from the other bug discussion on slow boot.

This appears to have fixed my mouse issue.

I now have control of the mouse in the guest OS.

0 Kudos
TomHartt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Thank you. Installing V2.0.1 (125077) has resolved my mouse problem as well.

0 Kudos
TT12345678
Contributor
Contributor

where may I find the update to download. I went to the link provided but the file is not there

0 Kudos
NickCatal
Contributor
Contributor

2.0.1 (125077) does NOT fix this problem for me

This is after removing all traces of VMware Fustion and then installing the latest 2.0.1 beta

Again, my problem is with my bootcamp partition only.

0 Kudos
adpeease
Contributor
Contributor

This dmg file no longer appears to be available. Is there another place that it can be accessed? This mouse issue is causing a lot of problems for me.

0 Kudos
miles_hot
Contributor
Contributor

same here - 2.0.1 has not been the magic bullet I was hoping that it might be! Smiley Sad

I do have one oddity - I am running two screens (the prime reason for moving off the original version) and on the right hand screen, which does not contain the control bar etc, the mouse works. On the left screen (with the start button et al) the mouse is not captured - it moves around but can't click on anything.

I recently installed a whole bunch of memory in the mac pro so that I could give XP a full 2K dose however this didn't change anything either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
gent
Contributor
Contributor

no comment

0 Kudos