VMware Communities
sieb
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 2.0 Does Not Grab Mouse Input

I just upgraded to 2.0 and upgraded my bootcamp install of XP along with updating the Tools, and it boots up fine, but it does not grab my mouse input, only the keyboard. I removed the tools, restarted, installed the latest tools, and it still does not work. Telling it to Grab Input does not help either.

0 Kudos
60 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

I am not running my VM from boot camp but still see the issue. No mouse in VM. Uninstalled vmware tools, removed preferences, plist etc. but none of that helped. So I had to revert to 1.x. My system is Leopard latest on Macbook Pro rev3.

Can you please attach the vmware.log and vmware-vmfusion.log files as described in my post above?

0 Kudos
Steve_Kiar
Contributor
Contributor

Tried a couple times to attach logs to the post.

Here they are;

(See attached)

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Tried a couple times to attach logs to the post.

Here they are;

Thanks. Looks like you're hitting the same issue:

Sep 26 10:43:19.274: vmx| MKSHostInit: Failed to create mouse event tap

0 Kudos
ankurr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

My problem is somewhat related. After i upgraded to 2.0 i got the message that i should upgrade the XP machine, so i did. I got the usual device found messages and went through the entire process of reinstalling the tools, well almost the entire process. It did everything except the mouse. I get a message everytime i boot that its found a mouse and then it cant install the drivers. The error message on the screen is that windows could not load the installer for mouse. As a result the mouse is not working at all in the VM. Another device it finds but cant install the driver for is the SCSI controller.

The log files are attached

Message was edited by: ankurr , Safari was not able to attach files.

0 Kudos
manakas
Contributor
Contributor

I am attaching the two files you have requested.

One additional information: I have encountered this mouse problem in fusion 1.3 a few times. Every time the issue went away after a restart.

0 Kudos
manakas
Contributor
Contributor

trying again...

ps: it appears that safari cannot upload files to this forum.

Message was edited by: manakas

0 Kudos
tbasham
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue, 10.5.5, Vmware Fusion 2.0, Intel MacBook Pro. Attaching Log files. Prefs delete did not work, but the issue is random, I can boot up in the morning and it will not work, immediately reboot, and it will work normally, then the same the next day.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
dgarcia
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue (Mac OS X 10.5.5, VMware Fusion 2.0, Intel MacBook Pro). The first time I power on the MacBook Pro, the mouse will not work (I can see the mouse pointer in the VM, but the Mac OS X mouse pointer is a "white glove" in the VM and clicking in the VM does nothing), but if I restart the MacBook Pro, the mouse will usually work. Sometime I have to restart a few times to get it to work, But the next day I have the same issue. Also, the video gets reset. Happens to all of my VMs (XP Pro, W2K3, Ubuntu 7.1). Latest VMware tools is installed on the windows VMs. I did not upgrade the VMs. Annoying, but workable. Hopefully the next build will resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
NCSUCPE
Contributor
Contributor

Here is another me too post. I am seeing the issue on two different VMs. Do you need the log file or not? Smiley Happy

John

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

We're still trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

To the folks encountering this issue:

Do you have any third-party mouse drivers (Logitech, Microsoft, or USB Overdrive) installed?

0 Kudos
sieb
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am running Microsoft's IntelliPoint.

0 Kudos
NCSUCPE
Contributor
Contributor

No. I don't have any third party drivers as far as I know. This is a Macbook Pro migrated from a Powerbook upgraded from 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5. Smiley Happy

John

0 Kudos
NCSUCPE
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and I don't know if this will help or not but when I see the issue, the mouse acceleration (speed of the mouse) goes to very slow from fast where I keep it.

John

0 Kudos
tbasham
Contributor
Contributor

No 3rd party mouse drivers on the Mac. Kensington Mouse Works installed in the VM (Windows XP).

0 Kudos
NickCatal
Contributor
Contributor

No 3rd party mouse drivers on mac nor in VM

Again, this is my boot camp partition, where if I boot into boot-camp directly the mouse works fine. If I have another OS in fusion as a 'normal' VM the mouse works fine. It is just when I try to load the BC OS in fusion that I have no mouse support.

0 Kudos
svkelley
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem:

vmware fusion 2.0

MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.5.5)

Logitech LX3 Optical mouse

vmware image - Fedora 9

not using a Bootcamp partition

It seems to recognize the mouse but the mouse pointer displayed is not calibrated with the VMWare image. In other words on my Fedora 9 VMware image when I click one place another place actually receives the click. It makes it unusable.

I see this problem when the mouse is connected directly through USB as well as through a USB hub.

I have also confirmed this problem with Dell Mouse (M/N MO56UC)

Sean

0 Kudos
manakas
Contributor
Contributor

I do not have any third-party mouse driver installed.

I am having this issue with the vm image (not bootcamp image) that was created by the previous version of vmware fusion. A new bootcamp image I created this week with vs 1.3 works fine in 2.0.

I am wondering if others who are having similar issues are using vmware images created from previous versions < 2.0 ?

0 Kudos
velum
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have more than 2 Gb of RAM allocated to your VM? USB devices don't work properly when more than 2 Gb is allocated to the VM. It is a bug in Fusion. I had read that it was supposed to be fixed in 2.0, but it is not.

Cheers!

JF

0 Kudos
NickCatal
Contributor
Contributor

I only have 2GB of ram TOTAL in this Macbook Pro, so there is no way to allocate that much RAM for the VM

Here are the full specs of my mac-

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"

Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,2

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07

SMC Version: 1.12f5

0 Kudos
Andreas_Rv
Contributor
Contributor

"...It seems to recognize the mouse but the mouse pointer displayed is not

calibrated with the VMWare image..."

Exactly the same here.

And the Mouse is not "captured" by fusion. It can leave the windows-screen without pressing ctrl+cmd.

Wireless Keyboard is working fine.

VMware fusion 2.0

Mac Pro , OS X 10.5.5

Wireless Keyboard and MightyMouse via Bluetooth

Win XPprof, converted from a VPC (6.n.m) - File

BootCamp-Driver installed.

Andreas

0 Kudos