VMware Communities
benc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 2.0.5 disabling 3d under 10.5.6

This is quite possibly me missing something obvious. I'm new to both the mac and fusion.

I updated to Fusion 2.0.5 and now every time I start a vm it informs me it is disabling 3d due to the ati issue.

The thing is I am running 10.5.6 not 10.5.7 which is from what I understand the OSX release with the buggy ati driver.

Is it me or fusion or both that are confused? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is quite possibly me missing something obvious. I'm new to both the mac and fusion.

I updated to Fusion 2.0.5 and now every time I start a vm it informs me it is disabling 3d due to the ati issue.

The thing is I am running 10.5.6 not 10.5.7 which is from what I understand the OSX release with the buggy ati driver.

Hi benc,

Some Mac Pros shipped with a special version of 10.5.6 with the problematic ATI driver. Are you using a new Mac Pro? That might explain this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi benc,

Some Mac Pros shipped with a special version of 10.5.6 with the problematic ATI driver. Are you using a new Mac Pro? That might explain this.

0 Kudos
stuarth20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've got his problem too with my Intel-based iMac running 10.5.7.

I didn't have any problems with Fusion prior to Version 2.0.5 (173382), now it is painfully slow and completely unusable.

I have the same ATI driver as I had before this VMWare update, so wonder if it is something VMWare can fix by using something in the architecture of a previous version?

0 Kudos
Surajst
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have the same ATI driver as I had before this VMWare update, so wonder if it is something VMWare can fix by using something in the architecture of a previous version?

Please note that this is an Apple and ATI issue. Note this message :

A Message to VMware Fusion Users with Macs that have ATI Graphics Cards about Apple's Mac OS X Updat...

0 Kudos
stuarth20111014
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link to the post. However, for me, it was too late. I do not visit the forums with any frequency and was only aware of the update after launching Fusion. I guess I should have taken the known issues in the release notes more seriously.

I have now switched off 3D acceleration which is not too much of an issue for my personal use of the virtual machine.

For clarification please, this only became an issue after I updated Fusion to 2.0.5 and reiterate that everything was working before this update. Why then is it an Apple and ATI issue?

0 Kudos
benc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Aha - that I wasn't aware of. Yes that would explain it. It is new (well reconditioned new Smiley Happy )

Many thanks

0 Kudos