VMware Communities
Welles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 2.0.2 update bundled with McAfee VirusScan Plus Installer

When i went to download the latest update just released today I find two download options. One is just the update which is suggested for IT pros. The other is bundled with McAfee VirusScan Plus Installer. Is this a new 'feature?' Wouldn't the VirusScan need to be a paid subscription? I wondered simply because there is no clear explanation and I don't remember McAffee ever being bundled with Fusion in the past. Personally I use ClamAV and as I do no web browsing from my virtual machine I don't feel the need for a paid anti-virus program.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

McAfee VirusScan Plus was first bundled with Fusion 2.0.0 and it is a Free 1 year Subscription.

The only difference between the two .dmg disk image file is one has the antivirus.iso and the other doesn't otherwise there are no functional differences between the two.

From

• Ships with a 12-month complimentary subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 antivirus software, with localization support for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

McAfee VirusScan Plus was first bundled with Fusion 2.0.0 and it is a Free 1 year Subscription.

The only difference between the two .dmg disk image file is one has the antivirus.iso and the other doesn't otherwise there are no functional differences between the two.

From

• Ships with a 12-month complimentary subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009 antivirus software, with localization support for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese, and Japanese.

0 Kudos
Welles
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, WoodyZ. I use Fusion every day to run various Windows only graphics programs and guess I made the decision when the 2.0 upgrade came out not to burden XP with the overhead of AcAfee. It had completely slipped my memory, perhaps because Fusion works perfectly for me.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

McAfee VirusScan Plus is a resource hog as slows Windows down considerably compared to some other AV products and since your happy with ClamAV I'd stick with it.

dave7lee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Glad for the discussion, guys. Appreciate the comments. I don't really like anything "mcafee" so I didn't want to download the 2.0.2 with that attached if not necessary. The other said "for IT" so kind of scared me off but your discussion helped tremendously. Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't really like anything "mcafee"

I don't either and there are other good products to choose from.

The other said "for IT" so kind of scared me off but your discussion helped tremendously.

I think VMware labeled is as "(for IT staff)" because they're assuming that if one is part of IT Staff then one would know what one is doing and take the proper precautions. The sad thing is while the assumption makes sense most of the time I've found it's to easy to be wrong when assuming things. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mcunix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oooops.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Um... from the release notes:

"Note: Two .dmg files of

VMware Fusion are available for download. One contains McAfee VirusScan

Plus, the other does not. Download either based on your download

preferences."

:smileyshocked:

Kevin

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If that's the only difference between the two, then the douchbags should say so.

I don't know about "douchbags" but VMware did explicitly state "including McAfee VirusScan Plus Installer" and "without McAfee VirusScan Plus Installer" so I think that makes it perfect clear however I did check the contents of the two .dmg disk image file and found that except for the antivirus.iso file the product was the same although without the antivirus.iso present with the other .iso files the "Install McAfee VirusScan Plus" command on the Virtual Machine remains grayed out.

But then maybe if you were IT Staff you'd know that without having to be told! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scottuf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i downloaded the mcafee version (verified by file size of dmg) and don't see it in the mounted drive, and install is greyed out in the menu. anyone else with this problem?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i downloaded the mcafee version (verified by file size of dmg) and don't see it in the mounted drive, and install is greyed out in the menu.

Did you install this version (just checking)? Does /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/antivirus.iso exist? What guest OS are you running?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i downloaded the mcafee version (verified by file size of dmg) and don't see it in the mounted drive, and install is greyed out in the menu. anyone else with this problem?

It has been my observation that with Fusion 2.0.2 the "Install McAfee VirusScan Plus" command on the Virtual Machine remains grayed out under the following conditions.

1. You installed Fusion 2.0.2 using the VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107-light.dmg disk image file.

2. You installed Fusion 2.0.2 using the VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107.dmg disk image file and have deleted the "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/antivirus.iso" file.

3. No Virtual Machines are running that have a supported OS installed.

So are you sure you downloaded the VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107.dmg and did you validate its MD5SUM against the what was published?

Have a look at: Using MD5 Checksums

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107.dmg = (md5sum:b81f41b1fc6f458110b718ed7f28086b)

VMware-Fusion-2.0.2-146107-light.dmg = (md5sum:c107a016e245b05a08262c8da3113352)

Is the target Virtual Machine running and is a supported OS installed?

When you say "and don't see it in the mounted drive" are you talking about the CD/DVD in Windows Explorer in a Windows XP or Vista Virtual Machine?

Have a look at and provide the information in the "Information to Include" section.

• Note: By supported OS I mean supported by McAfee VirusScan® Plus which are: Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 (SP4) or higher, Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher, Windows Vista.

0 Kudos
scottuf
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah - thanks. didn't know about the iso folder. it is in there. trouble is that i am running windows 7 beta, and had the vm setup as server 2008, so i guess fusion didn't think it was compatible. switching to vista, it showed up. thanks for the help. (haven't had a chance to install and see if it is compatible, but i'll try that later, at least i now know i did download it)

0 Kudos