VMware Communities
codextranslatio
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 13 on macOS Ventura - How to disable recurrent notifications?

Ever since I upgraded to macOS Ventura, I get a "Background Items Added" notification badge every time I launch Fusion (screenshot enclosed). Can anyone tell me how to disable this?

image.jpeg

7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The notification is technically correct. Fusion adds background items when it starts and removes them when finished. Evidently that’s so the services don’t run when not needed. Ventura wants you to know when background items are added as a security enhancement.

I don’t think you can do anything to mute this (nor do I think you should from a security standpoint). It’s up to VMware to figure out a way around this new behavior of Ventura if they can. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
codextranslatio
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted a way to disable the notification, not the processes that actually trigger it.

Do you think it's worth a shot to create a support ticket for this?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@codextranslatio wrote:

I just wanted a way to disable the notification, not the processes that actually trigger it.

Do you think it's worth a shot to create a support ticket for this?

If you can, it’s probably worth it to open a support request and make sure it’s on VMware’s radar. It is an annoyance to be sure. 
I can see from a security standpoint why Apple wants to notify you if something creates a startup item. However I don’t know of many applications that add and remove startup items like fusion does. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I think the root cause here is that they add background processes from the client app, rather than using a pre-authorized helper app.  If that's the case, there's no way to disable the messages.

danwilder
Contributor
Contributor

This solution worked for me on macOS Ventura 13.4

1. Launch VMWare Fusion.
  2. In the finder go to /Library/LaunchDaemons .
  3. Open /Library/LaunchAgents in another finder window.
  4. Copy the 4 files that contain the word vmware from /Library/LaunchDaemons to /Library/LaunchAgents. Your admin password will be required.
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Just remember to undo that before installing any updates.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's not a solution, it's a workaround. You're fooling macOS by putting that copy in a system-controlled directory (LaunchDaemons) that rightfully belong only in the LaunchAgents directory. @ColoradoMarmot 's advice to remove these before upgrading Fusion is valid. 

VMware needs to fix this by adopting Apple's new background service configuration features that were introduced in Ventura. Or by stopping the insertions of those files in the LaunchAgents on Fusion startup and removal on Fusion shutdown (which IMO is the most ridiculous implementation decision I've ever seen). lHopefully the fixes will come in a future version.

- Paul (Technogeezer)