VMware Communities
gerhardhiemer
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 13 does not work any more after installing Ventura 13.3 on Mac Inte

After installing the path none of my VMs starts. Some are suspended other are shut down. Reinstalled Fusion no change.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Could you please attach a copy of the vmware.log and mksSandbox.log files found in the VM bundle of one of the VMs that won’t start? 

What model Mac are you running?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Mac mini 2020/Sonoma/2023 TP, Mac mini 2014/Monterey/Fusion 13,
Dell Latitude E6410/Windows 10/Workstation Pro 17
0 Kudos
gerhardhiemer
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro 15 inch 2014

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That machine isn't supported on Ventura.  If you're using OpenCore, we've had other reports that 13.3 breaks Fusion.  You won't be able to get support from VMWare, and unlikely to find help here unless you're on a supported configuration.

FWIW, it's no big surprise that things like Fusion break - they're deeply embedded in the OS, using low-level frameworks that rely on very specific CPU features.  It's probably time to look at upgrading your machine.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

It's probably time to look at upgrading your machine.

Or roll back to the last officially Supported host OS version by Apple.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

It’s really much simpler: in order to make some machines work with Ventura 13.3, AMFI (Apple Mobile File Integrity) was (temporarily) disabled in OCLP; and that’s the reason why Fusion, Parallels and also VirtualBox won’t start or resume VMs anymore. A future version of OCLP will hopefully re-enable AMFI, thus solving the problem. Of course, off-topic here…

gerhardhiemer
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot. I forward it.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

BTW, here are the OCLP 0.6.2 release notes:

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/releases/tag/0.6.2

… which, among other things, say in the changelog:

• Resolve boot support for 3802-based GPUs with macOS 13.3
    • Applicable for following GPUs:
      • Intel Ivy Bridge and Haswell iGPUs
      • Nvidia Kepler dGPUs
    • Note: patchset now requires AMFI to be disabled, patchset still in active development to remove this requirement

In the meantime, if you don’t want to downgrade to 13.2.1, you could create a new APFS volume and install Monterey 12.6.4 or Ventura 13.2.1 on it, together with VMware Fusion, etc.: that would make it possible, after rebooting from that volume, to run your VMs, until a fix is available for 13.3… (End of OT.)

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's only a matter of time before opencore runs into something that's unfixable - if nothing else, once apple stops releasing intel code, but I expect before that.

I hope folks understand the significant risk they're taking running opencore.  It's debatable if it's the greater risk, or running an out of support OS (certainly I'd run Monterey before I'd run opencore, and probably Big Sur too).

In any case, folks who choose to run it have to accept that things will break, and that vendors won't support it.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

@ColoradoMarmot wrote:

In any case, folks who choose to run it have to accept that things will break, and that vendors won't support it.

And note that since this forum is hosted by VMware, we have to play by VMware's rules here.

Other forums hosted by independent parties do not have to play by VMware's rules, and may be more open for discussions like this.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Rudmar
Contributor
Contributor

With the release of OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.8, many more bug fixes and improvements are here!

Integration of AMFIPass for root-patched machines
Allowing Library Validation and AMFI to be fully enabled, for greatly enhanced security

Now VMware Fusion works fine with macOS Ventura 13.5 and OCLP 0.6.8 

0 Kudos
alary
Contributor
Contributor

Or finding a more friendly version of virtual software.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Champion
Champion

Or running in officially supported configurations. You run OCLP at your own risk. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos