VMware Communities
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 13 Mouse wheel scrolling issue

Since I upgraded to Fusion 13 I have noticed an issue with mouse scrolling. 

I have a mouse that has a free-spinning wheel. If I scroll at a normal speed everything is fine. 

However, if I scroll at a very high rate of speed, the scrolling reverses direction during the high speed and then returns to the intended direction when the wheel slows down. 

This did not occur while using Fusion 11, and it does not occur in macOS 13.

I am using Fusion 13 pro and the guest VM is the same Windows 10 OS I was using on Fusion Pro 11.

16 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Since Fusion 11 wasn't supported on Ventura, I presume you upgraded the host OS as well between the two?  If so, there's two thoughts - one is that Apple rebuilt the USB subsystem in Monterey and broke a lot of things, so if it's a USB mouse that could be it.

The other thing is that Ventura and Monterey put much heavier loads on the host than Big Sur and earlier.  It's possible that your host/guest stack is causing resource contention.  What's the host and guest config?

MikeQ1
Contributor
Contributor

As an extra data point, I see this same problem with Fusion Pro 13.0.1.

However in my case I previously had Fusion Pro 12.2.5 running on a mac 13.2 host without the issue.  Simply upgrading to 13 introduced the issue.  It occurs on both mac and Windows preexisting VMs.  Another odd aspect is that the problem does not occur is I switch to the Unity view.

The mouse in question is USB.  I will try to dig out a wireless mouse to see if that changes anything.  EDIT:  I see the same issue with a bluetooth mouse, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, I did upgrade macOS and then Fusion. 

My mouse is Bluetooth.

0 Kudos
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

Host: Mac Book Pro 2019, 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64GB Ram

Guest: Windows 10 Ent, 4 CPU, 16GB Ram

0 Kudos
UncleJames
Contributor
Contributor

Has this problem been fixed in any of the newer versions of Fusion 13? I finally dropped back to Fusion 12.2.5 and that stopped the problem.

I should note that I worked with support for a while. They eventually gave up.

0 Kudos
UncleJames
Contributor
Contributor

UncleJames_0-1694191517585.png

Odd thing is that if I drop back to using Fusion 12.5 the problem goes away.  Come back to Fusion 13 (any version) and the problem returns. Go back to Fusion 12.5 the problem goes away.  [Sorry, didn't see your post earlier.]

Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

How do we get this seen and added to a known issue list so they will work on fixing it?

0 Kudos
UncleJames
Contributor
Contributor

Wish I knew. I opened a support ticket with them and showed it all to them.  They tried a few things and then (pretty much) shrugged their shoulders and closed the support ticket.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What's the support ticket number?

I can make sure it gets converted into a bug report.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the help. 

@UncleJames do you mind sharing your support ticket number?

0 Kudos
UncleJames
Contributor
Contributor

Support # 22382089311

0 Kudos
UncleJames
Contributor
Contributor

Did this get added as a bug report? @Mikero 

Support # 22382089311

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

Following up, 

Were you able to get this issue converted into a bug report?

Thanks for the help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
calimeropulcino
Contributor
Contributor

I am observing the same issue with Fusion Pro v13.2 on macOS Ventura. I filed a separate post with an unsuccessful workaround. Happy to consolidate in this thread. Does anyone know if/how we can attempt to get some attention at VMWare on this issue?

Other post, for reference: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Mouse-wheel-scrolling-broken-in-VMWare-F...

0 Kudos
Wkessler76
Contributor
Contributor

I just upgraded to 13.5 and I can confirm the scrolling issue is resolved in 13.5.

calimeropulcino
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the issue is resolved as well

0 Kudos