VMware Communities
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 13.0.2 hangs on Ventura 13.4

Ever since upgrading my Macbook Pro (Intel Based 16 inch, 2019) to Ventura 13.4, my VMware Fusion V13.0.2 hangs.  I have removed Fusion and  tried reinstalling Fusion 13.0.0 and 13.0.2.  Both hang when installing.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, have you found a fix?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's the guest and host hardware config?  

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@pmonte77 wrote:

Ever since upgrading my Macbook Pro (Intel Based 16 inch, 2019) to Ventura 13.4, my VMware Fusion V13.0.2 hangs.  I have removed Fusion and  tried reinstalling Fusion 13.0.0 and 13.0.2.  Both hang when installing.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, have you found a fix?

Can you explain what you mean by "My VMware Fusion 13.0.2 hangs", and "Both hang when installing". Are you seeing Fusion hang when it is starting, the installation of a virtual machine hanging, or the installation hanging?

Have you tried a complete manual uninstall of Fusion 13 using the instructions in KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1017838, and not simply dragging the application to the trash. You must find all files noted in this document in the folders:

• /Library (the Library folder found in your root Macintosh HD folder), AND
  • ~/Library (the hidden library folder found in your account's home folder - It's extremely important that you delete the files that the KB article notes that are located in this folder. This folder is NOT the same as the /Library folder and contains different files).

You access the ~/Library folder by going to the Finder, click on the "Go" menu, then hold down the "Option" key. The folder "Library" will appear. Continue holding the "Option" key and click the Library folder. 

Then reboot the Mac and attempt the re-installation of Fusion 13.0.2. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

I had an installation of Fusion 13.0.2.  After I upgraded to MAC Ventura 13.4, I needed to reboot my Mac.  After that, whenever I tried running Fusion, it would never start and Activity monitor shows it as not responding.  Any time I tried going into Fusion, I got the spinning rainbow.  So I finally moved Fusion to the Trash from the Application folder and am trying to install it from a fresh download.  During the installation procedure it is doing the same thing.  I get the spinning rainbow and Activity Monitor shows it as Not Responding.  Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

I have not followed the instructions that you sent to remove Fusion so will try that now.

0 Kudos
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

So here is where I am at on this issue.  I followed the full uninstall procedure from the link you shared.  I can install VMware Fusion 13.0.0.  I cannot install Fusion 13.0.2.  Once I fully uninstalled Fusion, I was not able to install Fusion 13.0.2 without it hanging.

However, even after I am able to install Fusion 13.0.0, the NAT networking was not working. My VMs could communicate with one another but could not route out to the Internet.  Then when I shut down my VMs and tried quitting Fusion 13.0.0, it hung with the same issue as before with Activity Monitor showing a status of Not Responding.

So there is something seriously wrong with Fusion 13.x working with an Intel based MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 running Ventura 13.4.

I am going to try Parallels tomorrow and see if I can convert my Fusion VMs once I copy them.  This is crazy!

If anyone has any other suggestions to what may be going on, I am open to trying anything.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

@ColoradoMarmot  Just saw your question.  The Host is a MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 Intel Based Notebook.  It is a 6 core 2.6GHz i7.

2 of the guests are Windows 2019 Servers.  The 3rd guest is a CentOS Linux machine.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Could you collect a support bundle ( Help > Collect Support Information > Quick ) and post it here. I'm trying to rule out something not quite right with your Mac.

Have you tried booting the Mac in Safe Mode and trying to run Fusion from there?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ok, so on that machine, no individual VM should use more than 4 cores, and aggregate across the three shouldn't exceed 8 or 10.  Otherwise you'll starve the host for cycles, which can cause freezing.

If any of the guests are on external USB drives, that can also contribute to freezing - Apple borked the USB subsystem in Monterey and it's never been the same since.

0 Kudos
pmonte77
Contributor
Contributor

@ColoradoMarmot @Technogeezer Hey folks, thanks for taking the time to assist me with this issue.  My issue was after MAC OS Ventura upgraded itself to V13.4, my VMware Fusion started to hang.  The only way for me to get Fusion to not hang was to perform the total uninstall provided by @Technogeezer .  But I could only install V13.0.0 not 13.0.2.  V13.0.2 would never complete the fresh install without hanging.  When V13.0.0 would finish the install, I could not shut Fusion down.  If so, it would hang and become unusable again.

So I decided the fix is to quit using and buying Apple products.  As part of my work, I have a lab that requires Intel based Windows and CentOS Servers.  Now that Apple has made the decision to quit offering Intel based laptops, there is no future for me with Apple.  Plus I have been becoming disgruntaled with Apple in general for the last few years and so this was the push I needed.

So I went to Costco and bought a Lenovo Intel based i9-13905H 14 Core, 32GB, 1TB Laptop and then installed VMware Workstation.  I had to rebuild my lab from scratch but now it is running like a champ.  I'm running 2 W2019 Servers with 2 CPUs and 3GB of memory and 2 CentOS servers with 2 CPUs and 4GB of memory.  With everything I have open, I still have 30% of system memory left.

neillt3
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I just started having this problem this morning after upgrading to Ventura 13.4.1.

This is an Intel Mac Pro that has run tons of VMs in Fusion with no problem in the past until today.

Now, when starting Fusion I never get the VM library window... the menu bar changes to VMWare Fusion then the spinning rainbow.  Have to force quit.

I did the complete uninstall procedure in KB1017838 and then downloaded 13.0.2 fresh, and the installer hangs at the end when you click "Done".

The crash logs don't scream of any apparent problem...

0 Kudos
neillt3
Contributor
Contributor

Also worth noting that the trick of installing 13.0.0 mentioned above is not working for me.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is it running open core, or is it a supported configuration?

Opencore does not work with Ventura 13.4 and Fusion.   FWIW, VMWare doesn't support unsupported OS/Hardware stacks, so any patches or workarounds would have to be from opencore, not fusion.

0 Kudos