VMware Communities
erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 12 w/ Big Sur Display Flicker

Just upgraded to Big Sur and, among other issues, my Windows 10 VM flickers in full screen mode. It did not do this in Catalina using the same version of Fusion.

My system is 2019 15" Macbook Pro i9 with 32GB RAM.

In full screen my display flickers but not in windowed mode. My display is a Dell U3818DW running at 3840X1600. Again this worked yesterday before upgrading to Big Sur.

143 Replies
umnz
Contributor
Contributor

I found turning off True Tone fixed this issue for me, too. MBP 16" 2019 / 8C / 16T / 32GB / 5500M w/ 2 x 4K 27" Displays (not in clamshell mode).

atoth
Contributor
Contributor

View -> Full Screen Minibar -> Always show did the trick.

Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

Has a solution already been found for this screen flicker? I just upgraded to the latest Fusion version 12.2 0 and the problem is still there! Every time I connect the big screen to my MacBook Pro (13 "2020 with Big Sur 11.6) the flashing starts. This is really annoying because I can't use my big display, instead I have to use the small 13" screen. Between MacBook Pro and 27" Dell display is Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro.

I can't found solution from here. Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
atoth
Contributor
Contributor

View -> Full Screen Minibar -> Always show stops the flickering

Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

At first I thought it helped. Then it flashed again and then I got a black screen with a white arrow cursor. If I exit Full Screen mode, Fusion will work. Hope WMvare fixes this problem!

0 Kudos
Toms_Mac_Pro
Contributor
Contributor

Chose a different color profile in System Settings / Displays

0 Kudos
Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

I tried different color profiles. But again, it first I thought it helped. Then it flashed again and then I got a black screen…

I think that this is not my broblem. I really hope that VMware will solving this and do some bug fixes…

And yes, this broblem is only when I use Full Screen mode.

0 Kudos
Neil_Erskine
Contributor
Contributor

Using Fusion 12.2 on Big Sur now.  The problem is worse than ever. Where before I would have to use the VM for a while before it started to malfunction, it now fails almost immediately.  When the VM issues sound (or tries to if I disconnect the sound adaptor in settings) the whole machine stops, blacks out and slowly redraws.

This happens both in full-screen and single-screen modes.

0 Kudos
Toms_Mac_Pro
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion Player 12.2.0 on macOS Big Sur 11.6. No problems, everything is working.

0 Kudos
modhelius
Contributor
Contributor

For me it is flickering more than ever after updating to 12.2.0 if I run full screen without having the "Full Screen Minibar" set to "Always show". VMWare is currently completely unusable in full screen if you want to run it without the minibar.  It would be nice to see a fix for this, because this problem has been present for quite a while now 😕

0 Kudos
Drumski
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the Fusion Player 12.2.1 update today. The problem is still here. The screen still flickers! I can't use an external monitor! Amazing, VMware can't fix this problem that has been going on for a long time! I'm really disappointed…

0 Kudos
EDevil
Contributor
Contributor

I can't believe it's been more than a year and we still don't have a fix for this issue. Instead we have to go with workarounds... 😞

0 Kudos
mscoxoh
Contributor
Contributor

Adding to the pile... though it appears after 7 pages, over a year, and nothing from VMWare, it won't help. My screen looked like someone was hitting the contrast up/down buttons constantly. I thought turning off the "Automatically Adjust Brightness" would fix it, but it did not. My workaround, as others have mentioned, was to turn off True Tone, though enabling the Full Screen Minibar works if I really wanted to leave True Tone on. 

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  internal display
Big Sur 11.6.2
Fusion 12.2.1
Windows 10 Guest

Has anyone checked to see if it still happens after Monterey update?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
robkersey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All I wil say is:

https://www.parallels.com/

I've had no issues with this!

0 Kudos
JWMJR
Contributor
Contributor

I still have the same flicker problem that I had with Big Sur after updating to Monterey.

0 Kudos
Toms_Mac_Pro
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have any flicker on Monterey on VMware, but on Parallels.

0 Kudos
MichBensto
Contributor
Contributor

After years of waiting for a solution. "There is no display driver for macOS VMs in vmware fusion".

This means it will flicker and will be very slow, because the CPU has to draw the screen.

And I never got a helpful answer from VMWARE on all the tickets I wrote,

Since VMWARE V1.0 (Windows) VMWARE Server 2.0 on Linux and since years now on VMWARE Fusion as a developer and IT consultant 

I stopped, because there is no interest of VMWare for the small macOS Workstation and no support at all. 

Parallels macOS as vm is working perfect and fast and the migration of my Windows and Linux VMs worked seamless.

0 Kudos
TysonSean
Contributor
Contributor

Adding to Page 7
Vm version 12.2.4
Mac OS 12.1.4

scanned thru 7 pages trying different stuff.
nothing has worked yet.

0 Kudos
pdanford
Contributor
Contributor

I found turning off True Tone and Night Shift to be the fix for me using Fusion 12.1.2 on macOS Ventura with a Windows 7 Guest OS VM. This works regardless of which color profile I have selected on the Host.

Enabling True Tone and/or Night Shift again will cause flicker in the Guest OS to return.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 isn't supported on Ventura - upgrade to 13 and see if it resolves this (and other issues that will definitely arise).

0 Kudos