VMware Communities
erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 12 w/ Big Sur Display Flicker

Just upgraded to Big Sur and, among other issues, my Windows 10 VM flickers in full screen mode. It did not do this in Catalina using the same version of Fusion.

My system is 2019 15" Macbook Pro i9 with 32GB RAM.

In full screen my display flickers but not in windowed mode. My display is a Dell U3818DW running at 3840X1600. Again this worked yesterday before upgrading to Big Sur.

143 Replies
pdanford
Contributor
Contributor

I had a color profile selected that was not the "Color LCD" in System Preferences -> Displays -> Color. Selecting "Color LCD" fixed the flickering in my full screen Win7 guest.

In fact, if "Show profiles for this display only" is checked, "Color LCD" is the only one in the list.

Late 2019 16" Macbook Pro Big Sur

pdanford

tonycurtis
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that worked here.  How weird.

0 Kudos
tonycurtis
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, having the mini-bar on-screen worked.  How strange.

0 Kudos
JonathanWickens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I have only “Colour LCD” selected and “show profiles for this display only” is ticked but I still get the flicker. 

0 Kudos
KlausRuesch
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing worked for me too: Select the "right" profile and the flickering is gone, even on the seconds monitor.

0 Kudos
HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That doesn't solve it for me. I will still need the mini-bar.

0 Kudos
JonathanWickens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The mini-bar fixed it for me once I'd manage to do it properly

0 Kudos
Robertlec
Contributor
Contributor

From reading the replies and my own problem, it seems that it doesn’t matter what the platform is. The problem resides with big and fusion 12. None of this flickering appeared before. 

0 Kudos
eirannejad
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to Fusion 

Professional Version 12.1.0 (17195230)

The flickering issue is still there.

0 Kudos
Robertlec
Contributor
Contributor

The mini bar trick works for me but I would prefer to see a real patch.

0 Kudos
DIRIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have something similar.  Seems to start off okay then will randomly blank a couple of times then come back within about 5 seconds.  I have tried some one the fixes.  LCD Colour profile.  Mini toolbar on top.  No it continues.  This is with Windows 10 Pro.  Probably should have waited a few months to update in hindsight.  Hopefully they are working on this as to get the Fusion 12 Pro upgrade, well you really would have thought they would have tested it.  Worked just fine before Fusion 12 with Big Sur.

Oh and I can't install the latest windows update or I get the BSOD.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Victoria9
Contributor
Contributor

Still flickering after VMWare 12.1.0. I have an iMac. Updated to Big Sur and VMWare 12 (not commercial). Then yesterday installed VMWare 12.1.0 update, and the flicker is still there. Actually, it is more than a flicker sometimes. It can be like lightening shooting across the screen.

zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi all,

If you are using multiple displays in full screen mode, could you check the spaces in Mission Control? (Press Ctrl+Up to show Mission Control, then move mouse to the top to show the Desktops) Are there 2 VM spaces in the same display? If yes, it may caused by a known issue that mentioned in Release Notes. 

" If you are using multiple displays in Full Screen mode and the external display is unplugged and re-plugged, multiple full screen spaces will be created in the same display

The guest OS screen can't be refreshed to the expected screen topology and the user is unable to interact with guest OS using keyboard and mouse after unplugging and re-plugging an external monitor.

Workaround: Go back to Single Window mode, then switch to Full Screen again."

0 Kudos
Victoria9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info, but it doesn't apply to me. Only one VM space open. The flickering continues.

0 Kudos
bpcoelho
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

0 Kudos
StevieSteve
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, running a Windows 10 or Ubuntu 18.04 VM, on v16 or 18 hardware. Screen flickering when using the VM. It's OK when not in full screen.

0 Kudos
robkersey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here, seems to be worse when I have MS Teams running on a call inside the guest.

Memory issue maybe? 

DIRIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Occurs in single window mode and full screen mode.  Makes no difference.

0 Kudos
DIRIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly enough it gets a lot worse when the VM passes through sound.

0 Kudos
DIRIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also closed my laptop to make my 1 VM display only have the option of one display.  Still flickers whether in a window or full screen.

0 Kudos