VMware Communities
erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fusion 12 w/ Big Sur Display Flicker

Just upgraded to Big Sur and, among other issues, my Windows 10 VM flickers in full screen mode. It did not do this in Catalina using the same version of Fusion.

My system is 2019 15" Macbook Pro i9 with 32GB RAM.

In full screen my display flickers but not in windowed mode. My display is a Dell U3818DW running at 3840X1600. Again this worked yesterday before upgrading to Big Sur.

143 Replies
tonycurtis
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing similar after Big Sur upgrade with Fedora 33 and FreeBSD 12 VMs.  Every time there's any activity, e.g. move mouse; I type into a terminal, or it outputs text; the background brightens and dims repeatedly.

ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Have you verified that it's on the latest virtual hardware?

0 Kudos
MaxEtere
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue on MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with Big Sur and Fusion 12!

erikread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hardware version for the vm is 18. That is the latest I believe.

0 Kudos
frkl
Contributor
Contributor

very same here...

misterbell
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. Happens whether I'm using the Retina display or external monitor.

I tried the usual suspects, like disabling graphics acceleration, reinstalling VMware tools, without success.

It's almost like the computer is trying to do True Tone colour adjustment whenever you move the mouse about. It's very distracting.

16" MBP 2019, Windows 10 VM

JawaTheHut
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to Big Sur with same flicker in full screen.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

eirannejad
Contributor
Contributor

Just upgraded to Big Sur and same issue here with Fusion 12 and Windows 10 and other VMs. Please please suggest a fix. I really need to get work done on Windows.

TEMP FIX: I ended up opening the VM Settings window and overlapping it with the fullscreen VM window and that removed the flicker. The moment the overlapping window leaves the full screen, the flicker comes back on!

rix34
Contributor
Contributor

I experienced similar issues. I turn off True Tone and everything works fine.

MBP 15 2019 i9 running Win7 on VMWare 12.0

rob59
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, Macbook Pro 13 Early 2015 - Win10 VMware Fusion 12

HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem on all my VMs, regardless of the OS.

Tried with and without graphics hardware acceleration, same result, the flicker persists.

Every single time Apple updates MacOS, Fusion breaks in some way. It's becoming annoying.....

HSomb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I managed to get it to stop flicker by having the mini-bar always visible (just add it to where it bothers you the least)... but that is a hack that I don't want to use for an extended period and hope VMWare fixes this asap!

Tags (2)
AndyWard
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting this problem too on fusion 12.0.0, mac os big sur. It seems to be OK if the mac is using the discrete gpu. With the integrated gpu the colour flickers. Windows 10 x64 guest.

ingsings
Contributor
Contributor

Me too, full screen flickering on a 2020 13" 4 port MacBook Pro with 32 GB of memory, running Big Sur / Windows 10 2H20.

@HSomb 's workaround (keep the mini-bar visible) so far seems to be working - thanks!

AndyWard
Contributor
Contributor

Another weird problem is the colour of the cursor in windows guest (mac os big sur host) - when night shift is activated the windows cursor still appears in brilliant white sometimes.

0 Kudos
bpcoelho
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. Mac mini 2018.

gsena
Contributor
Contributor

Temporary fix for me is turning off Night Shift schedule.

JerryHuang007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, In the VMware Fusion menu bar, click View > Full Screen Minibar > Always Show fixed my issue, enable 3d and Retina doesn't matter.

JonathanWickens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm getting the same but only on my external Benq monitor - the retina display on the MacBook Pro seems unaffected. It started when I upgraded to Big Sur but only happens for VMware, all other Mac applications are fine. It seems to relate to how much is going on, for example when the VM is booting up the Windows "Window Pane" graphic pulses about once a second and when I move the cursor or hover over things like shut down it also flickers. Seems to reduce a lot if I don't do anything (not a solution!). The full screen minibar fix didn't work for me

0 Kudos