VMware Communities
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fusion 12 vs Fusion 11.5 - reasons to 'upgrade'?

Fusion 12 supports Big Sur.  Fusion 11.5 doesn't.

Aside from that,  are there any other changes that makes it worth spending the 'upgrade' fee?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi GlennyG,

That entirely depends on what you use.

For example if you use macOS virtual machines then it is pretty cool that you can now use metal 3D in your guests (* experimental support, but release will come in version 12)

OTOH if you use Windows, then you can now use DirectX 11 and openGL 4.1

There's USB 3.1 support.. oh gosh.. I'm rehashing the release blog 😂

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

Also note that there's a free version for personal use, fully functional and basically the old non professional version, but it has now been called "Player".

As usual it all depends on what you use on if it is worthwhile for you to spent money on an upgrade or not.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi GlennyG,

That entirely depends on what you use.

For example if you use macOS virtual machines then it is pretty cool that you can now use metal 3D in your guests (* experimental support, but release will come in version 12)

OTOH if you use Windows, then you can now use DirectX 11 and openGL 4.1

There's USB 3.1 support.. oh gosh.. I'm rehashing the release blog 😂

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2020/09/fusion-12-now-available.html

Also note that there's a free version for personal use, fully functional and basically the old non professional version, but it has now been called "Player".

As usual it all depends on what you use on if it is worthwhile for you to spent money on an upgrade or not.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks

Seems there's nothing of importance for my case - just some DotNet development,  so don't even use DirectX.

Will give Big Sur a wide pass for a long time yet.  Had enough grief with the forced 'upgrade' to Catalina.  Seems there's plenty of pain and suffering for the early adopters of Big Sur. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

FWIW, Big Sur has been vastly better than Catalina so far.  A few strange issues, but nothing to the level of the last go around.

0 Kudos
GlennyG
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to know it's been better than Catalina which was a truly awful 'upgrade' experience.  Wasn't until 10.15.6 that the display issues and random crashes were finally fixed. It's lovely and stable now,  so I'll give the Big Sur 'upgrade' a wide berth and keep the associated VMWare 'upgrade' fees in my bank account.

We like stability.

0 Kudos