VMware Communities
floremin
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12, problem with three screens, mixed retina and regular

Please help, I've had this problem for years with many previous versions of Fusion, Mac OS and Windows.

Here is my configuration:

• Fusion 12.2
  • 27" iMac with 5k retina display, 5120x2880
  • Windows 10 as guest OS, VMTools installed
  • two additional monitors: 1920x1080, 2560x1440

Under MacOS, internal 5k screen is running at 200% scale, while the rest (being not retina) at 100%. This is the preferred configuration under Windows guest as well. I'm using Fusion in full screen mode using all screens. In Fusion Display options I have checked "Use full resolution for Retina Display".

By default, VMTools (I believe) configures this with custom scaling as: 

• 5120x2880 (200% scale) - correct, 5120x2880 is native resolution
  • 3840x2160 (200% scale) - incorrect, 1920x1080 is native resolution
  • 5120x2880 (200% scale) - incorrect, 2560x1440 is native

The UI is appropriately sized, but blurry on external monitors due to it being rendered double sized in double resolution then scaled back by the display hardware. If I turn custom scaling off, Windows boots with scaling set to 100% for the external monitors, but with double the native resolution. In Windows Display preferences I can select native resolution for an external monitor, but when selected the screens would flash/blink couple of times as if switching video modes, then display would show the same double resolution and I'd get an expected Windows popup "Keep these display settings?", as if the switch worked.

In Fusion 11, (with custom scaling off) Windows would always boot in the configuration with double the native resolution for external monitors, but after each reboot I was able to switch and "make it stick" most of the time, not every time, though. Now, with Fusion 12.2 I cannot anymore.

My current Mac OS version is 12.0.1, but I had this problem under previous versions as well.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
0 Replies