VMware Communities
Jason_MC
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12 can't use Boot Camp volume

Running: VMware Fusion Player Version 12.0.0 (16880131)
on software: macOS Big Sur Version 11.0 beta (beta 6, beta 7, beta 8, beta 9, beta 10)

macOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1 beta
on hardware: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

ScreenShotBCVMerror.png

Boot Camp VM from Fusion 11 encountered error: The operation on file "/dev/disk0s1" failed.

This error occurs when "Attempting to start up from: -> EFI VMware Virtual SATA Hard Drive (0.0) ..."

The problem persists when starting fresh and creating a new Boot Camp VM.

All non-BootCamp VMs seem to work fine so far (with the exception of sound).

What I've tried:

• Completely removing and recreating Boot Camp partition
  • Granting Full Disk Access to VMware Fusion 12
  • Deleting the VM are starting anew with VMware Fusion 12
  • Disabling SIP
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Running First Aid on all disks/volumes from Recovery Mode
  • Launching VMware Fusion as root (sudo)
  • Booted MacBook directly into boot camp partition and:
    • verified free space
    • verified no file system problems/errors
    • installed updates

Notable/relevant errors in vmware.log:

vmx| I005: DEVCREAT: Found a device: /dev/disk0s1

vmx| I005: HOSTDISK-MACOS:Whole disk device path for /dev/disk0s1 is /dev/disk0.

vmx| I005: FILE:open error on /dev/disk0: Operation not permitted

vmx| I005: AIOGNRC: Failed to open '/dev/disk0' : Operation not permitted (10002) (0x101).

vmx| I005: OBJLIB-FILEBE : FileBEOpen: can't open '/dev/disk0' : Operation not permitted (65540).

vmx| I005: FILE:open error on /dev/disk0: Operation not permitted

vmx| I005: OBJLIB-FILEBE : FileBEOpen: can't open '/dev/disk0' : Operation not permitted (65540).

Notable/relevant errors in Console App:

client     error     19:20:26.109292-1000     vmware-vmx     unable to normalize volume: "<private>", tmp_result: <private>

client     error     19:20:26.109386-1000     vmware-vmx     Failed to get available space for volume <private>: Error Domain=CacheDeleteErrorDomain Code=10 UserInfo={Volume=<private>}

client     error     19:20:26.109509-1000     vmware-vmx     unable to normalize volume: "<private>", tmp_result: <private>

client     error     19:20:26.109654-1000     vmware-vmx     validatedCachedResults: unable to create keyName from: {
     "CACHE_DELETE_AVAILABLE_SPACE_CLASS" = 3;
     "CACHE_DELETE_VOLUME" = "/dev";
     }

(See attachment for more from Console.)

I assume this is due to some new security feature in macOS 11 preventing programs from taking control of partitions/volumes.
Is this a known issue? Is there a fix or workaround?

Message was edited by: Jason_MC Attached vmware.log

Message was edited by: Jason_MC. Updated OS versions. Problem still exists.

Message was edited by: Jason_MC. Updates OS versions. Added apparently relevant lines from vmware.log.

Message was edited by: Jason_MC to include having tried recreating Boot Camp partition.

Message was edited by: Jason_MC. Updated OS Versions. Now tested on Big Sur betas 6 through 10. Problem remains the same.

Message was edited by: Jason_MC. Updated OS Versions tested. Same problem and symptoms on macOS 11.0.1 beta

73 Replies
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

(Forum platform migration broke my account, so I can no longer update the original post. https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Platform-Status/New-Communities-Forum-Disconnected-My-Profile-from...)

This problem exists for every version of Big Sur from beta 6 to 11.0.1 release.

@JimHuyiwei Thanks for the workaround, I'm sure it will help some people, but unfortunately, it's untenable for me right now

@Clogston No, I haven't seen anything from VMware on this issue aside from @nancyz requesting my vmware.log.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Each of my systems has a working bootcamp-as-a-vm, so I'm not sure what the bug is.

On one system I did have to delete the BootCamp VM from Fusion's Library (which is fine, it can be re-created just by creating BC VM). 

Recommend that if folks bought Fusion 12 and are hitting this issue to file a Support Request with our GSS team so they can properly triage the issue to engineering if necessary.  

@nancyz do you know if we have a bug filed already?

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.10.50 AM.png

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

@Mikero Thanks for your response. I have the same disk layout (except for Windows Recovery partition).

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 9.55.51 AM.png

I've tried everything as I noted in the original post. Now that Big Sur is out of beta, I'm going to try to completely reinstall Fusion 12 and see if maybe the installer didn't configure something correctly when installed on beta 6. (Though, I'm not hopeful since another post on the same problem was created after the release of Big Sur: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Big-Sur-EFI-Problem-Won-t-Start-Windows-...).

Also, I and others could not find a way to submit a bug report, and since Fusion 12 is free for personal use, everyone I know who has this issue (here, reddit, etc.) does not have access to Support Requests. (I will buy it when my business reopens, but I hope this issue is fixed before then.)

Thanks again for the reply.

0 Kudos
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of Fusion 12 on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (not beta) and creating a new Boot Camp VM. No good. exact same symptoms/logs as original post.

@Mikero  are your working bootcamp-as-a-vm setups running in Fusion 12 on macOS Big Sur? If so, what hardware versions are your working VMs using?

0 Kudos
dolfkam
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same problem. fusion 12.1 didn't make any difference.

I reinstalled my bootcamp with 12.0. not with 12.1

0 Kudos
Reediter
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

No amélioration with 12.1.0Capture d’écran 2020-11-20 à 20.05.21.png

0 Kudos
therealbaz
Contributor
Contributor

Problem persists... I am on Big Sur 11.1 Beta (20C5048k) and just tried 12.1.0

Parallels 16 doesn't have this problem

0 Kudos
xeen3dvm
Contributor
Contributor

Same Issue here

I need my Bootcamp VM for my daily work I must use BigSur after a disk crash last week I need fast a working os

so I use recovery and now Big Sur.

Try make a Ticket for that problem but hey I am a Idiot I purchase Vmware Fusion 12 Pro a few weeks ago I not wait

until Big Sur is ready and now I have no Support .

I purchase Parallels Pro all works perfect and much faster than with VMware and than I see wow a Update for Fusion

now I can use Fusion with Bootcamp , but no Problem exists like before.

What exactly have developer done in the x Month Beta test when Apple give all developers access to new OS ?

I know the chef k that some Games are working in Vmware Fusion but not check that the Software can be used 

in Home Office for Daily work.

Bootcamp VM´s are the fastest way running a VM on a Raw ssd Disk without visual HDD Layer so what VMware think

nobody use that ? No that and only That are my main Use case for VMware ok now for Parallels after VMware give me so excellent Support.

Vmware Fusion is like a banana it becomes yellow when you use it long enough

Andre

0 Kudos
alprio
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.

Cant load windows 10 bootcamp. 

Parallels works fine. 

When Vmware Fusion starts , it disconnects the windows 10 partition from disk utility. 

I don't know why. but parallels doesn't. its been a long time that vm doesn't work. 

0 Kudos
moodeedee
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any identification of the problem with this yet Nancy?

I've also got the same problem with Big Sur (proper release, not beta/dev) with it not working on 12.0 and updated to 12.1 of Fusion last night but the same problem exists.

Anything new in the two months since this post was started?

0 Kudos
djsteve1
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. 15” MBP late 2017, Big Sur 11.01, manually boots into BootCamp without issue. Fusion 12.1 refuses to boot using BootCamp. Have removed existing VM and recreated new using “Create a Boot Camp virtual machine”, problem remains.

Clogston
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve updated to latest version of Big Sur and Fusion with same inability to boot BootCamp partition from Fusion.  Have removed and renewed BootCamp VM with no change.  Running BootCamp now on trial version of Parallels.  Guess I’ll use it until Fusion fixed or trial runs out.  If trial runs out first, I’ll buy Parallels and make the switch long term.

moodeedee
Contributor
Contributor

We're definitely not alone with this problem.

I've actually attempted to install Parallels to work with my existing Bootcamp partition many times over the years, and it's never been able to even see my Bootcamp partition as an installation option, and still doesn't on Big Sur with latest Parallels software.  I've gone down that rabbit hold looking solutions, but as Fusion worked, I carried on with this... until now.

2017 MBP with a perfectly working Bootcamp Windows 10 partition just can't be connected to via Parallels (ever) and now not via Fusion.  I'm booting directly into it at present, so still using it natively, just missing being able to VM into it whilst living in Mac OS.

0 Kudos
frogfrag
Contributor
Contributor

You sir should have this workaround getting more attention.

It worked for me on the first try on using it.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
xeen3dvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi moodeedee

here same after Fusion access the bootcamp hd a installed parallels can´t see it

try a fresh reboot don't start VMware start disk manager activate bootcamp hd in disk manager

now try access with parallels now it should work. be aware try VMware if you do you must reboot the disk

is locked until reboot or you klick next go to refi bios and klick here shutdown otherwise disk stay locked until reboot.

Andre

Edit: sorry I forget, you can work with booth products together that is no problem but you can not make a bootcamp vm in Fusion 
if you not try that until a fixed version coms up you can run maybe parallels trial (6 weeks) with Bootcamp and hole rest in Fusion.

Edit2: a clear word, if bootcamp disk is not activated in disk manager you don't see the create bootcamp vm option in Paralells
the parallels trial have same features than payed but stop after 6 weeks the trial process. If you not see the Option for creating a Bootcamp VM
your first step must be the Disk Manager. If you can not activate the disk reboot and try again. try not start Fusion Bootcamp the disk is locked in same second.
If the parallels trial work don't forget to delete the bootcamp vm in Fusion than you can wait until VMware fix the bug and can use bootcamp in parallels trial.

NivlacGno
Contributor
Contributor

So you are able to boot up the bootcamp using VMware Fusion? The original partition not a new partition created using the bootcamp

0 Kudos
frogfrag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi NivlacGno,

I was able to make it work using

JimHuyiwei's workaround as described on page one.

It requires a new boot volume and some setup but the Windows Partition is the BC partition and not a copy or a Fusion one.

mesrouilles
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same, I should have done a little research before upgrading to Big Sur this week.

When VMWare told V12 was ready for BS, I didn't think it was "except for one of the most interesting functionality"...

Still not solved, only a workaround given by another user...

xeen3dvm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi NivlacGno

no, nobody here can boot Bootcamp without making a second Boot Disk.

The Question before was "I can not see bootcamp in parallels here is same problem"

The workaround with activate Disk was only making bootcamp visible in parallels trial.
At this Time there is only a workaround making a second boot partition and ignore the Error message at VM boot.

I have no Time making beta or Workaround Tests for VMware I must Pay if I will use a Product like Fusion
and for my Money I not await to hear go to community for get Help after be 15 years VMware User !!!

Dis you or some other have see her only 1 comment from official VMware Support ?

I am so happy that VMware do not construct weapons for US Army , if they we are all long time in 3 world war now

best

Andre

nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Jason__MC 

We have isolated the problem reported the problem to Apple.