VMware Communities
humphries
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 12 Pro upgrade not finding or running local VM packages on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Before upgrading to Big Sur, Fusion 11 Pro ran fine here with multiple VMs. Then did an upgrade to Big Sur, followed by installing a 30-day trial of Fusion Pro.

Now the previously registered local VMs are displaying in the Virtual Machines listing, but all Virtual Machine settings except Send Key are grayed out, and Not Found is displayed in under the VM name near bottom.

Attempts to Open or Open and Run the existing VM produce nothing on the screen.

Is there a log I can check to get additional insight into the problem, or has anyone else experienced this issue?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion reads the list of VMs you have.
In that list your Windows dev entry references a full path like /home/vms/under-the-oak-trees/aunt-dorothies-vms/windows dev/windows dev.vmx

All you need to check now is wether a vmx-file with the listed name exists in the specified path.

If the path is invalid == problem solved - fix the path
If the vmx-file is not readable to your account == problem solved - fix permissions
If the vmx-file is invalid -- problem solved - fix the syntax

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion reads the list of VMs you have.
In that list your Windows dev entry references a full path like /home/vms/under-the-oak-trees/aunt-dorothies-vms/windows dev/windows dev.vmx

All you need to check now is wether a vmx-file with the listed name exists in the specified path.

If the path is invalid == problem solved - fix the path
If the vmx-file is not readable to your account == problem solved - fix permissions
If the vmx-file is invalid -- problem solved - fix the syntax

Tags (1)
humphries
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All good thoughts.

But it turns out the problem was more catastrophic than I had imagined.

A few months ago my MBP crashed and would not power on, so it was shipped back to Apple for repair. They fixed it and, as they warned, wiped the SSDs clean when they reinstalled the OS.

I hadn't used the VMs since then, until attempting the Big Sur + Fusion 12 Pro upgrade.

I restored the drives from Backblaze, figuring I'd be good since the VM folder wasn't excluded.

Bad assumption. Backblaze excludes vmx and vmdk files by default, and I didn't introduce Time Machine backups until after the Backblaze restoration.

So it looks like my VMs are gone forever and will have to be rebuilt.

Thanks anyway for the quick assist!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

FWIW, time machine is unreliable for backups, so you may have been out of luck in either case.  It has a nasty habit of aging out pieces of VM's, particularly while they're running, and ending up with different parts from different times.  Use either manual backups, or a solution like @wila product to get reliable backups.