VMware Communities
crsandoval
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 12 / MacOS Monterey PB

Good Morning:

In my last post it was suggested I upgrade the Mac from an MBA to an MBP. Its great and my VM is running smoothly. So being ambitious I installed the PB.

While attempting to boot the VM, it goes black and then goes into a recovery mode. This loop fails and WIN 10 tells me to shutdown. Any suggestions? I could just downgrade back to Big Sur. I did attempt to "copy" the VM file from my prior Mac to the new Mac and the issue remains the same. Also, I know the VM is not corrupted because it books on the older MBA just fine. Any help is greatly appreciated. -Chris

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 12 isn't supported on Monterey.  If past history follows true, we'll see either Fusion 12.5 or Fusion 13 as the supported release, with some sort of beta or tech preview version in a month or two.

If you have mission critical work, downgrading is absolutely your best option.  Mac OS versions at this stage of the release cycle are notoriously unstable and incomplete.  As you've unfortunately found out, they're really only fit for use on secondary or development machines.

wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I haven't tried to run Win10 on the beta myself (although I have Monterey running), but am aware that there are people running Win10 guests in VMware Fusion 12 on Monterey hosts.

Things to try:

- enable/disable the Side Channel Mitigations in settings -> advanced
- don't try to use hypervisor features under CPU (settings -> Processors and memory), I would leave everything unchecked there if at all possible.
- try without 3D acceleration (settings -> display)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
baccheschi
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem after upgrading to Monterey beta. And I had to start a new my widows 10 VM, which wasn't a big problem since I didn't have any critical work on it. I keep most of it on my Mac and despite the fact it is my main work machine (the macOS host), I do have an older working iMac and everything backed up, so I have where to run to if something goes really, really bad. I don't have time machine backing up my VM's. I do it manually monthly, since time machine can shake things up, but with the Monterey beta I lost it. But the new VM is flying. Or at least WAS flying until today. Having macOS host beta wasn't enough so I HAD to instal the guest windows 10 21H1 latest release ( build 19043.1083). I used for the last three days with no issues, but today after restarting it, O got the spinning wheel for every guest windows action or click, or even for any fusion settings action or click, it lags and lags until it crashes. I was able to run it on safe mode, though, but next I'll try to roll back the latest updates on troubleshoot restart mode. All this just to say that Fusion 12 (12.1.2 here) does run on beta monterey, but I wasn't able to make my previous VM to run on it. I do have my old one stored, but I've already transferred my windows 10 license to the new one.  Ant the new runned with no problem until I upgraded do beta on windows 10 21H1 (July 6th release. If the rolling back of the lates quality update works I wave. FYI, I have an MacBookPro11,5 mid2015 15"retina w/ 16GB and 1T SSD. 

crsandoval
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions on getting a new Mac in my prior post and also downgrading. I did that yesterday and put the Mac back to Big Sur and will just wait. In prior build releases I never had an issue, so figures being careless ended up being an issue… Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, we've all been bit by the shiny new toy bug at least once 🙂

I sort of feel that way about the M1 Mac I expect to buy this fall...wondering just how much intel I'm going to miss

0 Kudos
baccheschi
Contributor
Contributor

Weel, rolling back latest quality or feature updates didn't cut it. I had do reset my PC. And It worked again..... for a while. Since I reseted it, I had to reinstall VMWare Tools, and it crashed again. Reseted it again, I worked again, until VmWare got reinstalled, then crashed again anda so on... 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ColoradoMarmot Outside of Fusion, there’s nothing Intel that I miss on my M1 Mac Mini. Rosetta 2 has provided the bridge quite nicely. YMMV of course. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

In my case it's more windows-specific stuff (games, some niche software).  Windows ARM would work for most of it, and a cloud gaming service (or steamdeck) for the rest.  But that pesky EULA....

Apple really is the king of CPU emulation.

0 Kudos
crsandoval
Contributor
Contributor

Just pushing this thread up, has there been any updates on Fusion 12 supporting Monterey yet?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

None that I’ve seen from VMware and they typically don’t say much about their plans. But given past behavior I would plan on a new Fusion version being required for Monterey support.

Note that according to VMware’s product support policy  Fusion 12 will go end-of-support in December 2021 (15 months from GA).  Unless they do a “12.5” release, I don’t see VMware putting the effort into qualifying Fusion 12 for Monterey. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
mikegathpe
Contributor
Contributor

So, it is preliminary, but this issue does seem to have stopped for me with 12.0 Beta (21A5522h) developer beta 7

Fingers crossed

Now that it doesn't just hang, updates are being downloaded, including a networking update for vmware

0 Kudos